deck design software

I am currently designing a deck to replace the deck on my house. I would like to find a software program that will allow me to play around with different configurations and size joists, beams, spacing, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, David

Reply to
David Axt

Steve Barker

Thanks Steve!

Does this software size beams, posts, etc.? I don't want a program to just draw pretty pictures. I need structural calculations.

Thanks, David

Reply to
David Axt

Dunno. I have the home design package and haven't really used it yet.

Reply to
Steve Barker

David-

Usually your local building dept will have a simple for than gives allowable spans depending on joist size and headers / beam sizes as well. You can easily pencil out a design in short order, faster than learning the software.

Here's one from the City fo Temecula, CA

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

Perhaps he's not involving a "local building dept".

Reply to
Steve Barker

Contact Vulcraft Co. for steel deck or ( Try

or google for other steel deck manufacturers ). Request the CD for their design software. They also provide steel joist framing and steel deck.

If you are not using steel joist you can always go to 'Truss Joist' at (

) You then will use plywood for your roof deck and floor decking material. ( Then get an architect and engineer to complete the work ).

CID...

Reply to
Chuck

Chuck,

This is a residential outdoor wood deck not a comercial composite concrete/steel deck structure.

I do have a structural engineer that will verify the beam sizes, but I don't want to waste his time of money with me trying out different configurations.

Thanks, David

Reply to
David Axt

Steve-

I just suggested he use their form as a "design aid" I offered the PDF from city of Temecula as an example of what building dept deck design specs look like,

If he's not getting a permit it's still a very good idea to design so it would pass inspection hence my suggestion to use his local building dept's deck specs as a design aid.

My guess is that simple deck design can be iterated "to death" faster by hand with the tables in a design aid than learning & using some computer program. Computer stuff is cool but often a "one off" job can be done faster by hand.

Getting the deck design form from the building dept does not constitute "involving a "local building dept" "

Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

I saw an ad for the Punch software last night. It mentioned it can create a purchase list of materials. At the price they mentioned, I would be very surprised if it would calculate the sizing info you are looking for. They did say they had a 30 day free trial though. Might be worth a try.

Reply to
Bill