[?] Dealing with wood rot in decorative house fascia. (U.K.)

I do hope that I'm posting in the correct newsgroup - my apologies if I'm not!
Here's my problem:-
As part of the fascia (if that's even the right word) at the front of our 1930s built house in South East England is a wooden decorative piece, see picture of an identical one at:-
http://www.minda.co.uk/files/fascia.jpg
I recently noticed that the wood underneath the white paint is seriously rotted and will soon need to be replaced or treated/repaired.
I don't know, or have enough knowledge about house-building to be able to tell, if that piece of wood is structural or merely decorative.
Before attempting to do anything myself, I thought I'd better ask in this NG to see if anyone can identify how the shaped wooden piece shown in the picture might be attached to the front of the house - could it actually be supporting any of the brickwork above? - and perhaps give me some advice on how best to deal with the rot.
Could I just use one of the combination wood sealer and filler products that are advertised for dealing with wood rot or is some more serious repair work necessary?
All constructive comments and/or suggestions will be most gratefully received.
TIA - Dave.
--
David C.Chapman - ( snipped-for-privacy@minda.co.uk)
That looks like a decorative corbel, and is more likely not structural, but design feature. You can more than likely remove it, and make a new one, and replace it. I can only imagine that it is a beam coming out above it. Since I can only view it from a picture, that is my best guess. I noticed that many painted items on and around older homes, such as window trims, door trims, fence post and gates, all have some rot under their many coated layers of paint. I think that water has got in, and or been sealed in by the many coats of paint, and like putting a piece of wood in a plastic bag, it bakes in there. So, they seem to be more prone to rot. john
"David Chapman" wrote in message
[...]
On 3/18/2013 8:15 AM, David Chapman wrote:

I agree that that is a corbel in the picture as jloomis said, but that is not a picture of your corbel, so his comment about a beam above it may not apply. Got a digital camera? Know how to put pictures up on a file sharing site, like Shutterfly, Picassa, etc.?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburg, NY

Agreed, that is not a picture of my corbel but that of the unblemished and *absolutely identical* one on the other half of our semi-detached house. I photographed that one because I was ashamed to submit a picture of our one ;-)
Hope that explains things.
ATB - Dave.
--
David C.Chapman - ( snipped-for-privacy@minda.co.uk)
Well it has to have a beam above it? The corbel is just that, decoration. Can you pry the rot away from the above protrusion to see if there is a beam? Can you see a beam on the interior? Not enough information, and yes, some investigating would need to be in order. I can only guess, that it is decorative, but that is a pretty knowledgeable guess. john
"David Chapman" wrote in message writes

Agreed, that is not a picture of my corbel but that of the unblemished and *absolutely identical* one on the other half of our semi-detached house. I photographed that one because I was ashamed to submit a picture of our one ;-)
Hope that explains things.
ATB - Dave.
--
David C.Chapman - ( snipped-for-privacy@minda.co.uk)
Very many thanks to those people who took the time to respond to my posting and offer constructive suggestions. Your comments are much appreciated and have given me a good 'steer' as to the best way forward.
ATB - Dave.
--
David C.Chapman - ( snipped-for-privacy@minda.co.uk)
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:15:33 +0000, David Chapman wrote:

Does the UK jurisdiction have a central place where building blue prints are registered? If they do, see if they have one for your house. You can at leask look and be able to tell if the corbel is an add on or the end of a real beam.
Then if it is rotted out, have a good craftsman replace it with a new one. heh, you might even find one made of plastic.