Deadbolt for outdoor use

I was wondering if a common good quality deadbolt like a Slage is constructed to survive more of an outdoor environment. I'm thinking of using one on a gate and the inside plate with the turnknob would get weather on it as opposed to when they are used normally in an entry door.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

If the deadbolt, inside and out, is either stainless or brass, it shouldn't matter. You might want to grease up the moving parts a bit for some added protection from water, and caulk the top edges of the cover plates to help shed water.

RicodJour

Reply to
bill allemann

I'm sure there's carbon steel inside, it's just plated or phosphate treated. The water shouldn't be getting to the inside of the lock in the first place. Most double-key double bolts are interchangeable in orientation - not sure if you were planning on having a single key and a thumb latch or a double key - so a little weather won't affect it. If it's a thumb latch, caulk the "interior" escutcheon to the door/gate and give the inside a spray of Boeshield T-9 every once in a while.

RicodJour

Use a magnet. I ran across some brass screws and 90 degree bracket, supposedly brass, that are rusting at contact points. Magnetized screwdriver confirmed my suspicions.

Reply to
Jonny