Deadbolt for outdoor use

I was wondering if a common good quality deadbolt like a Slage is constructed to survive more of an outdoor environment. I'm thinking of using one on a gate and the inside plate with the turnknob would get weather on it as opposed to when they are used normally in an entry door.
Thanks, Bill
bill allemann wrote:

If the deadbolt, inside and out, is either stainless or brass, it shouldn't matter. You might want to grease up the moving parts a bit for some added protection from water, and caulk the top edges of the cover plates to help shed water.
That's what I was hoping. To make sure there's no carbon steel inside the lock mechanism, maybe I'll try to find some tech support at Slage on a specific model number. Thanks, Bill

bill allemann wrote:

I'm sure there's carbon steel inside, it's just plated or phosphate treated. The water shouldn't be getting to the inside of the lock in the first place. Most double-key double bolts are interchangeable in orientation - not sure if you were planning on having a single key and a thumb latch or a double key - so a little weather won't affect it. If it's a thumb latch, caulk the "interior" escutcheon to the door/gate and give the inside a spray of Boeshield T-9 every once in a while.
Use a magnet. I ran across some brass screws and 90 degree bracket, supposedly brass, that are rusting at contact points. Magnetized screwdriver confirmed my suspicions.
--
Jonny