Cutting fiberglass bat insulation questionn

I need to cut a bunch of kraft backed fiberglass insulation to length. My box cutter is making a mess of this.
Any tips on how to get a nice clean cut?
Thanks,
Wes
wess@*bogus*gtii.com wrote:

Sharp blade on utility knife and use a scrap piece of 2x4 to compress and as a guide.

That's how I've done it for years...
You can buy a Ziggy which is a plastic attachment for your gyp knife that pushes down the insulation so you can get to the paper.
Having tried many things, the very best is a butcher knife. Use a belt sander to keep a keen edge on the knife. Cuts about the same on either side of the insulation, but the fuzzy side up works the best.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

That is a neat looking attachment.

Now that you mention it, I used a meat cutters knife the last time I did this 25 years ago.
Thanks,
Wes
On Jul 15, 6:16pm, wess@*bogus*gtii.com wrote:

I used an old bread knife
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 18:16:25 -0400, wess@*bogus*gtii.com wrote:

Usually I use large scissors, or sometimes a large *sharp* knife. Knife gets dull very fast, scissors will also dull over time.

Hedge clippers also work well.

Lay the batt on a piece of plywood wide enough to support the cut. Lay a T-square across the intended area of cutting for use as a cutting guide. Using a sharp knife, both edge and point, cut, don't tear, into the paper intitially. Using multiple passes, slowly cut into the fiberglas. When you think you're done, make some more passes with the knife anyway.
--
"All men are created equal"
No one said they weren\'t different.
wess@*bogus*gtii.com wrote:

cut a slot in a piece of plywood, lay the insulation over the slot and use a nice sharp bread (or ginsu) knife. Works great!