Curiosity question to Contractors (Residential mostly but also Commercial included)

For those of you that are contractors, and have been a while, I'm curious about something. Based upon your years of experience (residential mostly but commercial could apply also) what is the most predictable aggravation you face on projects?

Sub's not providing quality service including being there when they say they will? (Electricians, Plumbers, Sheetrock workers, etc...)

The ability to find qualified and dependable workers including untrustworthy workers?

Suppliers that do not get materials on site when they promise or say they will?

Local Governments and inspectors with burrs up their butt?

Local restrictions and codes?

Do It Yourself type homeowners who are constantly second guessing you or changing things up on you during the project?

As I said just a curiosity issue and I know that each could be equally picked depending on the project I'm just curious if there is a trend or common problem that occurs more than usual.

Reply to
Gary KW4Z

what is the most predictable aggravation

CONTRACTORS JOB TO SUPERVISE, INSPECT AND SCHEDULE> Sub's not providing quality service including being there when they say they

SEE ABOVE> The ability to find qualified and dependable workers including untrustworthy

AGAIN SEE ABOVE, CONTRACTOR SHOULD SCHEDULE WITH ENOUGH TIME ALLOWED AND FOLLOW UP WITH DELIVERY PROGRESS> Suppliers that do not get materials on site when they promise or say they

NEVER HAD A BAD INSPECTOR AS LONG AS YOU DID YOUR JOB PROPERLY- THE ONLY "PROBLEM" MIGHT BE IN INTERPERTATION , - THAT CAN BE DISCUSSED> Local Governments and inspectors with burrs up their butt?

THATS THE RULE BOOK, YOU FOLLOW IT - NO PROBLEM> Local restrictions and codes?

BADA BING - FOR THE MOST PART IT IS AVOIDED WITH COMMUNICATION ALTHOUGH SOMETIMES YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE SOME PEOPLE UNDERSTAND OR LISTEN> Do It Yourself type homeowners who are constantly second guessing you or

JMHO

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

There are so many possible aggrevations, but if they get predictable, then you haven't learned to cover your ass.

Maybe until you find who is dependable and who isn't. Having a back-up is a good idea.

That doesn't happen too often as long as you stay on top of things.

If you know the codes before starting, then anything that does come up is usually minor.

Now you're getting warm. I'll never understand why some people have no concept of planning. I've seen so many people spend tens of thousands of dollars moving walls and changing scopes of work (if there ever was one), when they could have spent a few thousand up front for a game plan. While I always make it perfectly clear in writing, up front, that any deviations from the original contract will result in a change order or addendum, this doesn't seem to keep some people from changing thir minds. Which is OK with me as long as they know the consiquences.

What really has aggravated me the most over the past few years are those homeowners that watch those damn TV shows. Some think they can pull-off a project that is way beyond their ability and others think the job can be done in the same amount of time it took them to watch the TV show and have no idea what it will cost.

Reply to
hawgeye

Why are you shouting at us?

Reply to
John Reddy

This, or even worse "My friend, who's a DIY expert says....."

There is no such thing as feckin DIY expert

Reply to
scrumble

You're replying to a question that is a year and a half old. You're not exactly a Usenet expert, feckin or otherwise.

RicodJour