Counter-sinking lag bolts

Page 2 of 2
Do it backwards and save you some unneeded engineering aspects. Bore the larger hole 1/4" bigger than the intended washer first. Make yourself a countersink jig to maintain the same depth. Then drill the smaller hole to run the lag bolt in. I'd go with a 1/4" bit for the 3/8 bolt, and 5/16" for the 1/2" bolt. You don't need a particular bit type to make the hole, just be sure its long enough. You might clamp the timbers in place while drilling.
--
Jonny
"James" < snipped-for-privacy@nospamfdn.com> wrote in message
No one has mentioned one key item about your project. Since you said that the timbers are pressure treated I would assume they are the newer type that requires either hot dipped galvanized or stainless fasteners. I would also use the same material for the washers. The new pressure treated lumber eats regular metal fast. In my area most PT lumber is some type of pine from the south east part of the states. Running the screw threads on a bar of soap or wax ( beeswax the best) works very well for installing the screws also.

Yes, I am going to use hot dipped galvanized lagscrews and washers.
Thanks !!
--James--