Continuous footer v. Piers

Hi all,
I'm designing a shed (16'x24') for a wooded, slightly sloped backyard. Restrictive covenants call for a "masonry foundation" for sheds.
I had originally intended to pour a continuous slab/stem wall for the foundation, but I'm realizing I would have to remove a lot of trees to do it (i.e. the site and a good 10 feet all the way around it to get rid of the tree roots).
I was thinking of doing a cantilevered foundation using sonotube piers and beams instead (no more than 10-12" overhang all the way around). I'm thinking this would save on concrete and I wouldn't have to remove as many trees. I could then skirt the foundation with some type of non-structural panel, landscape bricks, etc. to give the appearance of a masonry foundation (I'm pretty sure the neighborhood would be OK with this as there is already an existing shed on plain sonobube piers).
I wouldn't cantilever more than about 10-12" - just enough space to put something underneath the edges.
Is this a bad idea? What would you recommend skirting it with?
Thanks, Budman

Is your alternate plan so that you can avoid removing the trees? If so, final grading is going to require sloping the ground downward 10' (minimum 1" per foot) in all directions from the building so you are still going to have a problem with the trees.
How much slope?
Steve.

Hi Steve,
Yes - I'm trying to avoid removing too many trees. I'm guessing the slope is around 10% - 20%, but I haven't measured it.
I haven't seen any surface water drainage problems - the soil is very absorbant in this area (but still firm). There is no way I could create a downward slope at the front without creating a retaining wall - I would have to either create a slope to each side and/or use drains.
Thanks, Budman

I shared your desire to spare trees until I had to deal with working around them to build my 30' x 40' garage. Now I love my chain saw. From your initial post it sounds like a permit is required. So I'd pay a visit to the building inspectors with some drawings and ask them for suggestions.
Steve.
dosent sound bad setting in the post from the outside is a good idea and 1 foot wont hurt you will want to get a steel connector at your lumber store to bolt down your post on top of that sono tube once its set. its a J bolt you insert in the concrete then a metal plate that nails to the post.
you will want some air to get under it and it should be removeable so you can get a look under it when the critters start getting under it.
I would look at latus used around decks If you use an open type you can back the inside of the latus with window screen to keep out the critters.
I have 2 generations of rabbits under mine, only a couple stay though.
bob marencin www.yourepair.com