Connecting a 2x8 joist to 2x4's

I'm building a room in my garage. I'm going to build a platform so that it will be even w/ the rest of the house. The platform will be about 1 foot off the ground.
The room size will be about 11x14. Here's the problem/question... The 2x8 joist on the 14' wall closest to the house will screw into the 2x8 foundation of the house. The 2x8 joist of the far 14' wall can only connect to 2x4's. How can I connect this?
It doesn't seem like it would be secure enough to only have the 2x8 be held into the wall by way of 2x4's.
thanks for any help. I hope this explaination makes sense.
sandog wrote:

If you do it correctly, it will be more than sufficient. Perhaps you have never seen a balloon framed house and how the joists are attached to the wall.
If you are going to be parking cars on it, then you may want to put a ledger board under the rim joist (the 2x8 on the far 14' wall). If the top of the platform will be 1' off the ground, then you could make the ledger by ripping a 2x6 to the proper width and setting it on the original floor and setting your 2x8 on it. If the bottom of the platform is 1' off the ground, then you could use a 1x12 ledger and set it on a piece of 1x4 to give you your 12 inches.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Thanks Robert,
A little more info.... After the 2x8 is attached to the wall, the bottom of the platform would be 1' from the floor, not the top of the platform.
So, when I put the 2x8 up against the wall to be nailed in there are about 11 available 2x4 in that 14' range that it can be nailed into. I was going to use 16d spiral nails. Does this sound right?
Also, I don't know all the correct terms. Would you mind explaining the difference between a ledger board and a rim joist.
thanks
sandog wrote:

A ledger board and a rim joist can be the same things. If you fasten a 2x8 to the wall studs, it is a ledger board or a rim joist. In my reply, I said ledger board when I meant ledger.
A ledger is a board attached to the wall to help support the weight of the ledger board or rim joist.
Picture this:
Set a 1x4 treated, flat on the floor against the wall. Now set a 2x12 on top of the 1x4 and up against the wall. Nail it to the wall. That is your ledger.
Now, set your 2x8 on top of the ledger and fasten it to the wall. That is your ledger board.
It is supported by the ledger.
However, you really only need to attach your ledger board (or rim joist) to the wall. You really don't need the ledger.
You will have to attach it with lag bolts instead of nails, though. Nail it to the wall framing with a few nails, then drill and install 1/4" x 4" long lagbolts at every stud alternating between the top and bottom of the rim joist. (First one at the top, next at the bottom, next at the top, etc.) If you want to add support, just cut some 2x4 blocks and nail them to the wall under the ledger board, vertically.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Long-term, would consider you're tieing into different structures. One, or both, may walk from the other. Resulting in some some unforeseen amount of separation. Or, one or both, may walk toward the other. Resulting in bulging/crowning. Dave
On Jan 9, 8:42am, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Thanks for all the help guys. Some good ideas.
The 2x4 wall is built on a 2 ft cinderblock wall. So what i can do is put a block on the cinderblocks and then rest my 2x8 on that. Then i can also screw it into the wall. That should work out.
I let you know how it goes. again thanks for the help