Concrete slab for parking a car

Page 2 of 2
Bob Morrison wrote:

I get frost heave in the "floor" of my mom's freezer...... :)
sometimes she forgets to close the door completely & the moisutre overwhelms the defrost cycle .....the moisture freezes & "mounds" the aluminum panel that is the "floor" of the freezer
I remove the floor panel & defrost with warm water & shop vac....good as new
cheers Bob

I was actually wrong in my last post - the air temperature here in north London was about 63 F. Today it was a cold 52 F. Tonight they are expecting lows of 45 F.
Last year I think the worst we got was some mornings with frozen car windscreens.
The chance of frost below an 8" slab here is not very high I suspect. In any event the water table is at about 9' and there is very little open soil to catch rain in the area. -------
In any event, many thanks for all the posts and advice given here.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

Les:
I believe our climates have similar temperatures. Mostly maritime moderate with an occasional freeze.
Our local building codes call for building foundations to be a minimum of 12" below finished grade. So, there is some potential for frost heave but not much. Again, a well-drained based will go a long way to preventing the problem.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

You and Bob have convinced me!