Concrete Slab costs

My project is to tear down a car port, remove the existing slab, pour a new slab, and build an enclosed 2-car garage. I received a bid for removing the existing slab, prep work, new slab with footings. The price was $9.84 per sq. ft. Is this a reasonable price?

The existing slab is 24' x 21'. Appears to be just a floating slab with no footings and no re-bar. It is cracked in several places. The new slab will be 25' x 25'. The contractor will remove the old slab, prepare the site, dig the footings, set re-bar and pour and finish the concrete. No concrete pump is required. I don't know the thickness of the slab, I assume it will be the industry standard for a garage. The location is Central Oklahoma. Hopefully that is enough info.

Thanks, Spebby

Reply to
spebby_92

You really shouldn't assume anything especially on the thickness of the slab. Get it all in writing. Including depth and type of footings (it sounds like it will be a monolithic slab) , size and type re-bar,. is a sub base required, etc. There really is no industry standard so to speak for garage slabs, but 4" is the norm. The footing depth will vary though. Having said all that and what you listed and if they include disposal of the old concrete, then that price doesn't seem too out of line. I would get more than one quote though. Some references from each contractor is also a good idea.

Reply to
hawgeye

On Jun 18, 9:46 pm, "hawgeye" >

Thanks hawgeye. I plan on getting another bid. I have good references from the current bidder. My neighbor, who has a fleet of concrete pumpers, recommended this guy and my insurance agent also recommends this guy. I had a slab poured 17 years ago (30 X 50) for a shop and the cost was about $2.75 per sq ft. That slab was 6". That price included prep work, sand, re-bar, concrete, etc. The pumper cost was an additional fee. It appears that prices have increased quite a bit in 17 years.

The 9.84 price does include removing the existing slab and hauling it away. A pumper is not required for this job.

Reply to
spebby_92

Thanks hawgeye. I plan on getting another bid. I have good references from the current bidder. My neighbor, who has a fleet of concrete pumpers, recommended this guy and my insurance agent also recommends this guy. I had a slab poured 17 years ago (30 X 50) for a shop and the cost was about $2.75 per sq ft. That slab was 6". That price included prep work, sand, re-bar, concrete, etc. The pumper cost was an additional fee. It appears that prices have increased quite a bit in 17 years.

The 9.84 price does include removing the existing slab and hauling it away. A pumper is not required for this job.

Seems too cheap to me also kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart