Concrete Slab

-------------------------------------
I'm pouring a slab as a basement floor with embeded radient heat (Pex). The Space is approx 62' x 23', I am reinforcing with #4 rebar and was wondering if I needed to actually attach the rebar to the existing footing (drilling and plugging rebar). The slab will be 5" thick on insulated compacted sub, with 2.5" above the edge of the footing and 2.5" below.
I would say it all depends on a few things. If it is structural. I would. If you are not upset by settling, and or cracking/space at the cold joints around the perimeter I would not bother. If settling and or cracking is an issue all therebar pins would do is minimize the cracking and or movement. That distance may require cold joints and or scoring at intervals to allow for slab settling also. I would devide the 92' into 2 or 4 spaces and put a control joint in at least 1/4 of the depth of the slab, or install hardy board (concrete 1/4 x4" board + or -)at those locations and pour them into the concrete. The rebar can be threaded throungh the hardy board although that is a little more difficult. I like the control joints done in the slab while wet. Sometimes I slot the hardy board and just drop it down on the rebar so it misses. I take pictures after the Pex is in for future purposes too. jloomisconstruction.com