concrete question

Good morning.
What happens to concrete as the ratio of aggregate to sand is reduced? I am asking about this because I am attempting to duplicate some factory-made patio blocks, and they appear to use a relatively small amount of some finely-screened pea gravel. I think they do this so that their split faces to not show a lot of rock.
Thanks -Mark
Most CMU products are made with Hadite or some other lightweight aggregate to keep the unit weight down. If weight is not a factor you might be able to go to the local concrete ready-mix company and buy concrete sand which will have sand and rock up to 1/4". This might make the look you are after. Be aware, if you are trying to match color, that concrete is very subject to the color and source of the sand.
___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

DanG wrote:

And, like mortar, to the amount of water in the mix.

Hmm. . .yes, this does look like what they are using:
http://www.canleyworks.com/temp/haydite.jpg
It's even the right color.
Off I go to look for some. . .
-Mark