Closet lighting question

We're in the process of remodeling our master bathroom and during the remodel we found some "extra" room so we built a small linen closet in the main hall next to the hall bathroom.
I believe code will not allow a hanging light fixture within 12 inches of a shelf so I'm thinking about installing 2 vertical 4-foot strip-lights mounted on the wall just inside the closet, one each side of the door. The strip-lights are similar-to/the-same-as the under-cabinet lights one would use in the kitchen, although they would have a clear cover and be cool enough to touch . These lights would be hard wired into the wall switch or perhaps a door activated contact switch.
Does anyone know if this type of lighting solution would pass code?
Thanks.
Gary Green Never use a 2x4 when a 2x6 would do just as well.
The best way to "pass inspection" is no light at all. They're not required in a non walkin closet. After the inspection, do as you please.
--
Steve Barker

"GreenGA" < snipped-for-privacy@EverGreen-Systems.COM> wrote in message
Interesting suggestion... Not quite the response I expected but interesting.
Thanks.
Steve Barker LT wrote:

See, e.g.,
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_frm/thread/9424f4be5669db81/44ed28795184842f
Cheers, Wayne
Well, that settles the question. No lights, if I wish to pass code, for this closet...
Thanks for the reference. I do appreciate it.
Wayne Whitney wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_frm/thread/9424f4be5669db81/44ed28795184842f
GreenGA wrote:

Have you thought of using any of the new battery powered neon lights? Stick it to the ceiling or the wall, and replace the batteries every few hundred hours of use?
Carolyn
--
Carolyn Marenger

For our closets we just covered the boxes with covers and after the inspection we installed lights. Ta-da!
This is something I never thought about. It's only a linen closet and we will use it, what two - three times a week to get some towels and such or put back what was just laundered.
Thanks.
carolyn wrote:

Mounted over the door is fine. These pass code in WA state all the time. IMHO they pass the UBC and IBC.
RickR
GreenGA wrote:

Mounted over the door is fine for the upper shelves, I even considered it before I posted the original message. However, since the closet is so shallow, about 21", I doubt much light would reach the lower shelves.
This is why I was thinking of something like a cool-operating under-cabinet light with plastic covers. I could run it/them down the sides of the door to illuminate everything from the top shelf down to near the floor.
Others have suggested that I prewire the closet for "the light" and then after the closet is inspected, just put in what I want; within reason of course. However, I have told my kids since they were small that I hate cheating and most laws, and codes in this case, are there for a reason. I would be forced to call myself a hypocrite if I were to follow that path and more than calling me fat, I hate being called a hypocrite. ;)
RickR wrote:

A light outside the closet is most likely to help with the lower shelves.
The other popular answer is a recessed light, especially one with a flush lens. The popular interpretation is that it is "outside" of the closet.
Of course you could ask your local building department what they approve. But that might be too easy. :)
RickR
GreenGA wrote:

Hmmm ... my closets are wired with lights in them. They're the fixture type that mount directly on the box and are activated with a pull chain. Passed inspection no problem. They're mounted in the closet on the wall above the door, not on e.g. the back wall fwiw.