Cleaning river rock fireplace

-------------------------------------
I have a river rock fireplace that is about 2 years old. I would like to clean it prior to sealing it, as some of the rocks have discolored. I collected these rocks myself. Any feed bacl on how to clean the stones without damaging?
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 14484 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖

I won't ask why you waited 2 years to seal it. If you think sealing it will stop discoloration, then you're wasting your time and money. In time the sealer will discolor.
There are stone and masonry cleaners on the market, but I've found that simple green works well for cleaning dirt, soot, smoke, etc. If you want to restore the natural color of the rock, try a solution of bleach and water. This will also change the color of any grout/mortar.
Either way, you need avoid getting the cleaners on metal, painted surfaces, flooring, etc.
Add pictures here
✖
Put them back in the River??

Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 8, 10:46 am, nicolem.cook_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (nicole21) wrote:

seal it for what, termites?. To get it like new Muriatic acid, mixed mild with rags around. I did it and had no damage to walls and oak floor. Or get a brush and cleaner and scrub, a strong TSP mix works.
Add pictures here
✖
what is TSP ???
Add pictures here