Cinder Block Ceiling- How

In some older buildings, usually small buildings in the basement or below a flat roof, there was a cinder block ceiling- with cinder blocks just like on a wall. Has anyone heard of this before, and if so, how did they support the cinder blocks, and mortar them together despite gravity?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No, I've never seen a cinder block ceiling/roof (although which do you mean?) Poured concrete, yes, even for a relatively small structure, but never block.

Would have to have had a support frame of some sort to have done such, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me however it might (if it actually was) have been done.
dpb wrote:

I will take a picture at one such building I am aware of which has it. The building I am aware of is a private pool club of which I am a member. The room with the block ceiling has a flat roof above it, so my guess is that the blocks are the ceiling below, and the substrate for the roof above, which is a tar/ruber roof.
Interesting. How do you tell the difference and are they as strong as concrete block?

I have never heard of a cinder block ceiling.
One is actually made out of cinders and are almost black and the other is white as in concrete. Used to be common back when I was starting. No they are not as strong. Haven't seen one in years.

replying to dpb, Cdorton77 wrote: Yes...I have personally seen a multi level structure with the load bearing floors comprised of rows of block seemingly supported by the concrete poured over it.....I was told this was due to insulative properties of the block and is a early 1900s design....
Having a great uncle that owned a block plant that actually made "cinderblock" by hand it is a personal pet peve that bugs the holly H%&* out of me when people call concrete block cinderblock. What you are refering to posibally could be cinderblock because of the age issue. Please note this comment is not directed at you but I wanted to take this oppertunity to mention this. Even the home shows on TV use this term and its just not right. Cinder blocks were actually mande from cinders and looked nor performed (we know that now) nothing like concrete block. "Cinder" block have not been made in this country for more than 50 years yet there is a new trend (caused by the home shows) at calling these concrete block cinder block. I have not doubt that what you are refering to could infact be cinder block. To answer your question without to much detail these blocks were laid on a wood form supported from below by a series of posts or by a combination of posts and beams. The block are then laid as you would lay brick in a side walk or patio. They are of course filled with concrete......
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I understand where you are coming from. I dont really know if the blocks in question are cinder or concrete. I always thought cinder blocks are the ones that have the "design" on the side that looks like a rock or boulder, is that the case? I would guess the blocks in question are probabaly concrete as the building was built in 1964. How do the blocks support themselves after the wood forms are removed? Is there any kind of beam running through the holes in the blocks to give them support?
Italian wrote:

According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinder_block) cinder blocks are still made today.

Saying "cinderblock" wall and saying they have a "cement" floor in their garage are my 2 biggest pet peeves.
How about if someone said they built a cinder block wall on a cement footing ?
--
JerryD(upstateNY)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Block-and-beam floor/ceiling?