Chimney expertise, anyone?

Good evening.
This afternoon I climbed up on the roof to check the downspouts, and I found the chimney cap to be in rather sad condition:
http://rainchain.drizzlehosting.com/chimney
Can any of our resident chimney experts suggest what needs to be done here? Obviously a new chimney cap is in order. Perhaps I can simply replace the existing cap with a stainless steel cap that fastens around the exposed flue liner? Or should I be worrying about the condition of the flue liner? If so, what needs to be done?
The chimney is used only by an oil-fired gas furnace.
Thanks! -Mark

I'm no expert, but looking at those pics, I wouldn't fire up that furnace yet. Not only does that look un-safe, I doubt that it meets current codes. The liner appears to have some cracks and obviously the cap is shot. I'm surprised animals haven't made a home in there over the summer.
I would install the proper (per code) liner pipe inside the existing with a new cap. It appears that you may have the room to do this, but I don't know what size flue is required for your furnace. You may need an HVAC pro to install it and flash around the top as well.
Yeow! Looks like you have had some chimney fires..... The ceramic lining in the actual chimney is shot. You can see the erosion on the sides. Get a Heating Sheet Metal Shop/Man to come and inspect...... A cap would be the last thing I would worry about.... They may be able to put a "liner" in the flue? jloomis

if it's only used by an oil fired furnace, i'd just re-cap it like you said with a nice metal clamp on unit. But I'd never put any serious (wood) heat up THAT liner.

Hmm...or was that a "gas-fired oil furnace?" Let me check... Ok, it's an "oil-fired furnace."
:-o

The chimney looks ok , if you can get a cap the fits with screen to keep out the birds ok, you could reuse that one with rebar cut and cemented in, then cover the opening around with screen. I would not worry as other worry warts are.

If you want to fill any cracks one way is to force a snug fitting rubber ball down the chimney to where the liner starts and then throw some loose refractory grout down on top of it. Then pull the ball up with the rope slowly while checking that the grout is around the edges and being forced into the cracks. Add more grout if needed. When the ball gets to the top your chimney should be repaired but you should install a new cap. I have done this a few times with good results. I have used a flat disk with a wooden rod through the ball and a hook or eye bolt on the top to tye the rope to.