ceiling tiles Qs: pay for thickness, drop-fit type; and making non-std. tees

I am just about to get some ceiling tiles for my basement. The last thing I noticed was that they come in either 5/8", or 3/4" thickness, and since the two were very similar in style, but had proportionately different prices I suppose the price difference is due to the extra thickness. I'm in Toronto as far as temp and humidity goes; its just a regular living space add-on for bathroom, laundry, and summer bedroom. I am not committed yet to 2'x4', or 2'x2' size yet. Is it beneficial to pay more for the extra thickness. Will they sag over time or anything. I've got about 20'x20' divided throughout 5 areas.
The standard size cross tees, 2' or 4', lock in with pre-made tabs, but they can lock in throughout the entire length of adjoining members in slots every 6". Is it possible to modify the standard tee lengths using aviation snips to make tabs so it would be possible to cut the tiles themselves to say 2'x3', for example. Is this cleaner than having 6" borders, or is it more trouble than its worth. Not really studied the problem. I've never even seen tiles done, but I am handy, and I've got tools.
What do you think of the any added bonus to using the drop-fit type tiles in the 2'x2' compared to the flat 2'x4'. Is this worth it? I would have to use a razor blade. A sea of flat vs. having a little projection.
-
I've got a really good handle on how I can lay this out do this because I can see it all in seconds using AutoCAD. After looking at it I don't think I really need to worry about the 2nd Q about modifying the Tees, cause I don't have any 6" borders. You could answer it, but I don't think I need to know.
But a general impression about the stylin' 2'x2's , and certainly the 3/4" vs. 5/8" thick is appreciated.
-
Well i settled the 2x2 vs 2x4 problem,and I think it depends on the actual size of the room(s) and the layout of each type as to how it turns out. I think the drop-in is definetely potentially nicer, but that is balanced against the above. I will always wonder, but I didn't cheap out to make a decision.. AutoCAD does this perfectly fast and I think it is crucial to see this on paper to make a decision. Then take it in your mind to the location.
I may end up using a Main Tee as an odd (>4') cross Tee, which is a different Q/A.
And I walked right buy the 1/2" tiles, the cheapest, the display on the end of the aisle. So my only remaining question is 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4"? The 1/2" do seem to bow if you hold them up. But for me, for the exact same pattern, I'm not gonna wanna spend 3x as much, for the 3/4" as the 1/2". Especially since I'm gonna be fighting for every millimeter. This Q is still open.
-