Ceiling Fan for Low 7.5ft Ceiling, is it possible?

Hello - We would like to install a ceiling fan in our den which is approx. 15 x 8. The problem we have is the ceilings are low, approx. 7.5 ft. and maybe lose another inch or so due to carpeting. My question is can we safely install a ceiling fan with a ceiling that low. Of course we would not be able to attach a light fixture to it, but we would make up for that with some end table lamps in the room. I understand there are certain types of "low Profile" ceiling fans, but didn't know if these were for this kind of situation. I guess, is there some standard height we should ensure the fan does not go below to be safe or in compliance with any type of code. Thanks for all your help. Regards.
alt.building.construction:

Standard ceiling height is 8 feet, and lots of people suspend a fan from that with no problems. If you look around, you'll find low profile fans with lights built into the base. I put one in our bedroom a couple of houses back. It had a glass base with chandelier lights inside -- this was above the blades. They were supposed to be a sort of night light. It also had a typical light fixture below the blades. The only problem was that the turning blades made the upper lights appear to flicker, so we never used them.
A six-inch difference in height won't make much difference unless your people are unusually tall. To make things safer, put a coffee table under the fan.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

Thanks Steve - Appreciated. I love the coffee table idea.

And pray that no idiot stands on the table! <bg>
I've seen ceiling fans on 7.5 ft ceilings, too, with no serious problems.

How tall are you?

Oh, average height, about 3 ft 2 inches... <g>
(just under 6 ft). And, yes, I do say: "I wouldn't do that" whenever I see that fan.

Common sense abounds here. Dave
Most fan manufacturers recommend a minimum fan height of 7'. If you can maintain a minimum of 6'-8" to the lowest part of the blades, you should be safe, but some locals have adopted ordnances with minimums higher than that. (Might want to give them a call just to be covered.)
The only national code requirement I'm aware of is over swimming pools (7'-6" min), spas and hot tubs (varies from 7-6" to 12').
You could also check with your insurance company to see if they have any restrictions (after all, they are the ones who are going to pay the hospital bills when some neighbor kid stands on the coffee table under the fan and jumps up to touch it.)
If you get below 7' consider removing the fan should you ever decide to sell your home to prevent a possible source of liability from following you. As most fan manufacturers recommend 7', should an injury occur after you sell, and you mounted it under the recommendations, you could be held libel for any injuries.
One thing to watch is the outlet box you intend to mount the fan to. The outlet box must be listed specifically for paddle fans are limited to fans weighting no more than 70 lbs. If the box was designed for fans that weigh more than 35 lbs., the box must also include the maximum weight is was designed for. You can also use a regular (unmarked) box if the fan is suspended independently of the box.