Caulk or grout against fibreglass tub?

Should I grout between ceramic floor tile and a fibreglass tub...or caulk? I prefer the look of grout but not sure if it adheres to fibrglass. Anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance, K

Reply to
geo.nova

Grout is not appropriate at this location.

If you prefer the look of grout, however, you may still be able to pull it off. Most grout manufacturers now make a line of matching "grout caulks" in both sanded & unsanded varieties. They have the same color and texutre as the grout, but the adheasion and flexibility of caulk.

Personally, I use siliconized caulk in this scenario.

Free advice - Don't be like a typical sub when you do it. Use tape to mask both sides of the joint and then caulk. That will give you a nice, clean look without smearing caulk down into the grout joints.

Shannon Pate

Reply to
Shannon Pate

Grout will soon crack and fall out from both lack of adhesion to the fiberglass as well as the motion of the fiberglass and differential expansion.

Caulk is the way to go.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
jloomis

RicodJour

While everyone prefers silicone caulk, I have seen standard floor grout used in several hotels (Embassy Suites in Paradise Valley comes to mind) and seems to hold w/o problems year-after-year.

You could always use grout and if it doesn't seem to hold in your situation, buy some silicone calk and repair it. Personally I would be tempted to at lease try it.

Reply to
Dennis

Reply to
jloomis