Carpet Purchase ...need input

We are planning on recarpeting our home in the SF Bay Area, CA..... with mid to upper quality carpeting. We have 2 children 14 and 11. No dogs, no cats.
We are not at all handy, so we will get the carpet installed.
Generally speaking
1. There are quite a few different types of materials used in carpets...nylon etc. Which offers the best value for money ...if one is thinking of having it for say 10 years or so.
2. Which company offers best value...Home Depot, Lowe's or a small mom and pop store. When we checked we found the large stores like Home Depot were less expensive.
3. In terms of colors .. for resale of home.. ...any suggestions ?
Any input / suggestions on buying /installing carpeting / padding etc ?
Thanks Susan
Choosing what type of carpet is best for your home is difficult
For resale you want something nutral light colors will stain easier but give the room a brighter feel
When you are getting your carpet pad opt for the higher grade
Nylon is good for quality and price dont buy the cheapest you want the highest tread count you can afford within reason. make sure it says solution dyed that means the color is put in when they make the nylon.
Cut pile is probably what you want to save money loop lasts longer but it is very hard to cut in a patch and make it look good
also make sure they give you the larger scraps incase you do have a burn or bad spill. That way you can cut in a patch
Resale SF Bay area? million dollar houses? dont worry about resale because your furniture will leave marks in the carpet and unless you sell them your furniture too or they want a golf course for the cat they will endup replacing it