Can anybody explain this?

Just had new roof, eavestroughs with flashing installed last spring. This year we have these wet streaks running down one side of the house (see pic here

. Did they screw up? Prior to having the work done, our original 40+ year old gutters never did this at any time of the year (rain or snow melt down)...

Been trying to get a hold of the roofer but wouldn't you know it they never seem to return our calls! : (

If anybody could offer their wisdom I'd really appreciate it...it will also help once I get a hold of our roofer...

Thanks in advance! Melanie

Reply to
Melanie

Yes, they screwed up. It's hard to tell exactly what's happening, but with overhangs that deep the area under the soffit should be bone dry at all times, even in brutal driving rain storms.

You used the term eavestroughs, which places you in Canada somewhere. Are the water streaks occuring during rainstorms, or just in winter with snow on the roof melting? If it's the latter, ice dams and the freeze/thaw cycle are driving water up under the shingles. Even so, it still shouldn't be happening as code requires a membrane on the lower part of the roof where ice dams are likely to form.

If it's happening just during regular rain storms, then the roof and/ or guttering is just messed up, and it's not possible to diagnose exactly where from the picture.

Do not let this situation continue. If the water is running down on the outside of the wall, it is almost assuredly running down on the interior of the wall as well. It might not have passed through to the inside where it would be visible from the bedrooms, but that's only a question of time. The unsightliness is the least of your problems. Leaks like that can eat wood framing very quickly.

Since the assho...excuse me...contractor is not returning your calls, you should have a lawyer send a very nasty letter explaining that due to his not honoring his warranty, code violations (there _are_ code violations, guaranteed), negligent work, etc, you will be hiring a contractor to correct his mistakes and the damage caused by his omissions and holding him responsible for all costs. You should talk to your lawyer as I am not familiar with your laws. You may be obligated to give him the opportunity to correct the deficiencies. Give a deadline.

You should pay an inspector to investigate the situation and write up a report. You need to start creating the paper trail as this may end up in court.

RicodJour

You've got problems, from the photo. My first guess would be ice damming, assuming you're in a cold place. Get on it fast, or it'll get more expensive.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Part of the repair costs will be removal and replacement of any insulation exposed to the water.

JJ

Reply to
jeremy