Burn-out

Need some seasoned veteran response.

My daughter's companion/boyfriend contracts homebuilding for a living. A day or 2 ago, she told me about his latest project. He's doing fixer-upper on a burned out home. She says alot of the walls are still standing, and sheetrock is intact on many of the walls. That's all she knows for now, she says.

This raised some flags for me. I told her, either the fire was in the attic, or, worked its way to the attic. Most likely, the standing walls still contain some water and alot of moisture. Most likely, I said, the house will be a major mold concern if the house keeps those remaining walls.

She inquired to me how the current owners are going to sell the house. I told her that in this neck of the woods, there are no municipal building requirements, and most likely, such an inspector would not be aware of a potential problem unless he/she ran into its prior history. And, most likely, the buyers won't be seeking help from a licensed home inspector.

Further, if it were me, I would find a way to back out of the contract if fixing this house.

Comments?

Reply to
Dioclese

Why back out? You haven't even seen the place!

Reply to
John Grabowski

The info you have is second-hand, you don't know the extent of the damage, the price he paid, what his plans are, etc. I don't understand your comment about municipal buildings. I thought this was a residential home. I've seen and worked on several houses that were burned. If the damage is minimal, it can be repaired. Servi-pro and other companies specialize in dealing with fire and flood damage to homes. I've never used them , but my neighbors basement has flooded a couple times and he's used them and seems to be happy with their work. If the boyfriend gets the house cheap and makes the proper repairs, I don't see a problem. Although he'll have to disclose the info on the fire when he goes to sell.

Reply to
hawgeye

Meant municipal building requirements (city or county building code), my bad. Just looking out for my daughter and boyfriend. Thanks.

Reply to
Dioclese