Building a floating room...

Hey - anyone ever build a floating room? I am constructing a NEW room in my basement. I need to know EVERYTHING about it. Including what materials, tools, and instructions. I'm going to head to Home Depot for help also. I am also sound proofing this area. I don't want to start and find out that I overlooked something I could have done. Any help?
does your basement flood? :-)

I hope not - We haven't moved in yet. In fact, the condo is framed - that's it. We are in the process of picking out all the insides. I am going to have virgin territory to work with

Maybe try here http://www.johnlsayers.com / http://www.recording.org/forum-34.html
peace dawg
in message
: >> Hey - anyone ever build a floating room? I am constructing a NEW room in : >> my basement. I need to know EVERYTHING about it. Including what : >> materials, tools, and instructions. I'm going to head to Home Depot for : >> help also. I am also sound proofing this area. I don't want to start and : >> find out that I overlooked something I could have done. Any help? : >> : > : > : :
I thought maybe he lived in Venice.

Timothy Angelo wrote:

Why would you think Home Depot would be of any help?
I think home depot has the little classes - like dry walling - stuff like that.

Got a friend or relative with skills?
Maybe a new neighbor?
Offer to trade "dumb labor" for some guidance.....
I assume you mean a "free standing" room? Or isolated? Sounds like may a room for playing loud music?
What purpose will the room serve? Permanent or temporary? How big?
So what you're saying is....you have no design or constrcution experience but you want to build a specialty room.
Break the process into two main components
Concept / detail design Construction
you need different tools & skills for each
the concepts can be gleaned from the internet, maybe even the detail design, talk to people who have designed & built similar rooms.
Do NOT start construction until you can a solid design; doing it right is a lot easier than doing it over.
cheers Bob
thank you kind sir - that was all valued advice.