Bowed Ceiling Drywall

A friend recently bought a house and the unfinished (not taped and mudded) drywall is bowed down between the trusses across the whole ceiling. I looke d in the attic and there is standard %30 batt insulation between the trusse s and I don't know why the drywall is bowing down. What is the easiest/leas t expensive way to fix this? He doesn't want to tear all the existing drywa ll out if it can be helped. Thanks.
On Saturday, May 4, 2013 5:16:29 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ked in the attic and there is standard %30 batt insulation between the trus ses and I don't know why the drywall is bowing down. What is the easiest/le ast expensive way to fix this? He doesn't want to tear all the existing dry wall out if it can be helped. Thanks.
Just wanted to add that it's the ceiling in the garage only that is bowed d own and that should say R30 insulation. The drywall looks like its sagging down about 1/2"-3/4" between the trusses that are on 24" centers.
I would consider replacing it...... Once drywall is left in a position, and is warped, the warping is "memorized" into it. Similar to bending sheetrock prior to installing on a rounded corner. We wet it, and let it sag by placing it on a wall with a steep angle of resting. I was wondering if the rock was ran correctly, and like plywood, it has a grain and a direction of run. Also was ceiling board used? Ceiling board is more rigid. Also I consider a garage an un-climatized area and suspect to moisture.... Over the period of time, it may have taken on moisture and sagged. Are the nails/screws holding it up well? Usually a 2' on center ceiling is fine for sheetrock, if the rock is properly fastened, ceiling board quality or 5/8", and ran with the grain and or strength in mind. john
wrote in message
A friend recently bought a house and the unfinished (not taped and mudded) drywall is bowed down between the trusses across the whole ceiling. I looked in the attic and there is standard %30 batt insulation between the trusses and I don't know why the drywall is bowing down. What is the easiest/least expensive way to fix this? He doesn't want to tear all the existing drywall out if it can be helped. Thanks.
On Saturday, May 4, 2013 7:38:30 PM UTC-4, jloomis wrote:

Thanks for the reply John. The 4'x8' sheets of drywall are in a heated garage and the house is 7 years old so I assume the drywall is original. It is installed perpendicular to the trusses and is screwed along all edges and in the field. I kinda figure d it would all have to come down but I hoped maybe a drywall guru had a mag ic trick up his sleeve.
The only other thought occurs is improper roof ventilation. Many people sheetrock the ceilings, and forget, especially in a heated room, to allow moisture out. Roofs need ventilation. Insulation can tend to block the air flow, and one gets heated moist air trapped in bays. It will moisten sheetrock also, dampen plywood, and damage shingles (shorten shingle life) Check this out also, and see if the roof bays are vented and there is a way out for moist air. john johnloomisconstruction.com
wrote in message

Thanks for the reply John. The 4'x8' sheets of drywall are in a heated garage and the house is 7 years old so I assume the drywall is original. It is installed perpendicular to the trusses and is screwed along all edges and in the field. I kinda figured it would all have to come down but I hoped maybe a drywall guru had a magic trick up his sleeve.
On Saturday, May 4, 2013 9:25:46 PM UTC-4, jloomis wrote:

The 24'x36' gable roof has 30' of ridge vent and continuous ventilated alum inum soffit in the 12" overhang so ventilation should not be a problem, but I do believe moist air somehow caused that drywall to sag. The previous ow ner used the space as a workshop and there is no air conditioning so it sta nds to reason that the high humidity in the summer would cause the heavy dr ywall to sag. Also, the drywall is not painted, just taped and mudded, so t he humidity was from both sides. Thanks for your input, looks to me like th e stuff is gonna have to come down.

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 8:25:46 PM UTC-5, jloomis wrote:

Moisture will damage (shorten the life of) shingles?
You have to include the rest of the discussion. I am not sure what we spoke about, and the thread was back in May. john
"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in message
On Saturday, May 4, 2013 8:25:46 PM UTC-5, jloomis wrote:

Moisture will damage (shorten the life of) shingles?

drywall is bowed down between the trusses across the whole ceiling. I looked in the attic and there is standard %30 batt insulation between the trusses and I don't know why the drywall is bowing down. What is the easiest/least expensive way to fix this? He doesn't want to tear all the existing drywall out if it can be helped. Thanks. Can you open up an opening in the drywall? Remove a light cover??
I thought if a garage is within a living space, it is to be double layered and muded on both layers. And at least 5/8" thick..
Maybe not the code there, but the exhaust is deadly, and should be sealed correctly.