Bosch cordless hammer drill, unbelievably cheap!

I'm talking about Bosch's big cordless hammer drill 18636-02.
If anybody knows why Bosch is dumping it, please tell. I have bought three of them so far, wish I could buy five. I use cordless drill parts for projects.
My best guess is that nobody wants a big cordless hammer drill. Or maybe it's due to a drop in home construction. Somebody else suggested that maybe Bosch is going to bring out a new version soon. I don't see anything wrong with them. I am impressed by the design, inside too, looks high quality to me.
The cheapest price I know of is Tool Authority, at US $170 with free shipping (mine have come in factory sealed boxes). At Home Depot, it's $575 total. Here is the online price spread.
http://indoors.pricegrabber.com/cordless-power-tools/m/28409203/st=product/sv=title /
Have fun.
--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423 /

ebay has a -03 but perhaps that's not the version number?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bosch-36V-1-2-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Model-18636-03-New_W0QQitemZ160295527668QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160295527668&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparmsr%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
The -02 kit includes two 2.0 amp hour FatPack batteries. The -03 kit includes two 1.3 amp hour SlimPack batteries. (assuming both come in a factory sealed box)
Yes, eBay has some prices that are not much higher than Tool Authority for the same kit. Amazon does too. But unless you are in the United Kingdom, there's no reason to buy it from eBay until TA runs out of stock or raises the price. At one point, Amazon proper was selling the -02 kit for $193 with free shipping. But they said it would take two to three weeks processing before shipment. Weeks later, Amazon increased the price.
The only thing I've noticed about one of mine is that the motor brushes do not have a red mark on them as described in the owner's manual for replacing the brushes. But that's probably nothing to do with quality/function.

You bought 3, maybe yur a sales troll since LiIon batteries only last maybe 3 years. I have Ridgid with a lifetime warranty on even batteries. Since I keeep tools and my Makita batteries still work after 20 years I am ahead. So what does a replacement 36v Bosch cost? Probably 150. You are not looking ahead.
ransley <Mark_Ransley yahoo.com> wrote:

That is a fact. The first two at $180 each, and the third for $170 US.

I am about as anti-spam as it gets, Mark. In fact, I keep an archive of spammers in (free.spam).

That sounds about right.
Nickel cadmium batteries suck, mainly due to their high leakage current and memory that causes problems unless you have a sophisticated battery charger that can fully discharge the battery before recharging. Nickel cadmium also presents a disposal problem. Nickel metal hydride batteries don't suck as bad as NiCad because they don't suffer from the same memory problems. Unfortunately, both NiCad and NiMH lose about 25% of their capacity within 24 hours whether you use them or not. That's due to leakage current. Fortunately, lithium-ion batteries have a similar shelf life as alkaline batteries. Lithium-ion batteries do not self discharge, so they are ready when you need them, and lithium-ion batteries are lighter for the same amount of stored power.
Since you needed the lesson, Mark, you're welcome.

And? What Ridgid product is selling for half of its normal price, Mark? Or are you just shilling for Ridgid?

If you are saying that NiCad batteries last that much longer under the same use as lithium-ion, that's bullshit Mark.

You are full of it, Mark.

Says an ignorant troll who suggests that NiCad is a good battery technology.

.NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

You need a lesson in batteries and truth, troll. I have learned over 25 years, Nicads dont suck as you say they have the track record LiIon cant have yet and wont match Nicads on total life. Sure you are at the mercy of cheap chinese packs that self discharge overnight and that come with cheap stuff, but your 25% figure is total bull shit on Sanyo or Panasonic cells. Panasonic and Sanyo are the Batteries to have and my 86 Makita Sanyo packs still have some life, but of course I have new packs also. You will be lucky to say that in 3-5 years on LiIon. I make packs for RC, I self monitor peak V, your 25% statemnt is the biggest Lie I have ever heard on self discharge of 24 hrs on Sanyos, its more like ONE percent every day to few days.
Nicads are fully discharged in tool use when the tool slows or to their nominal 1.2v a cell, unless you charge it many times a day memory doesnt have time to be an effect in real world use. Nicads should not be recharged the same day of use and should be rested, it is a chemical reaction dont forget. What you do need is a modern peak sensing charger, not the crap that you leave them in all day that cooks cells. Fortunatly good equipment usualy has a good charger.
I buy Ridgid only for the walk in Lifetime warranty that I dont even need my reciept to access sine im online registered. I bought 2 Ridgid LiIon tools, the 12v mini driver and 18v drill, I also have a Ridgid 9.6v Nicad screwgun and 12v Nicad drill. I know in 2-3 years I will get a new 100$ 18v LiIon pack FREE, I will need one since life is limited and less than Nicads, as I also know how to make a pack last 20 years, You will be stuck with needing 6 packs costing 170-180 without tax, or near 200$ a pack, thats $1100.00 - $1200.00 in 3-5 years how smart you are. Mine are free so what do I care about "Half Price Sales" you just got suckered into $1000.00 loss to make it to year 6. Unless you use these in work everyday you just bought a loss you cant write off. Maybe its got a defect you cant see yet thats why its soo good a deal! Seeing how my 1986 Makita is still good I know this Ridgid warranty will save me alot, you never thought about that, did you, you are now stuck with a 36v heavy monster of limited use. I rarely use my 18v because of weight I like the 12v mini LiIon driver, I like the mini Milwaukee even better. You are not thinking ahead since you say you take off parts, you are no pro. Bullshit you say that my Sanyo-Makita packs are from 86 and still work, thats because you dont know how to take "care" of your batteries. Here is a clue, no manufacturer wants you to take care of it, thats where their profit is in future sales, its called give away the drill, sell the batteries at full rip off. Go read and see how Radio Controled racers keep from killing packs, basicly its dont over discharge, let them recover 24 hrs, dont overcharge that means any temp increase or V drop for more than 30 seconds, and dont overheat. I think I will try my 1986, 9.6v Makita-Sanyo pack today to fix windows, its nice and light, but maybe its dead by now .
ransley <Mark_Ransley yahoo.com> wrote:

Anyone who says that NiCad is a good battery technology isn't giving lessons to anybody, Mark.

Looks like nonsense to me, Mark. Provide citations.

Isn't China where Ridgid makes its stuff, Mark?

You might be right about NiCads, I was referring to NiMH there.

I know for a fact that radio controlled aircraft users are thrilled about lithium-ion batteries and wouldn't touch nickel cadmium batteries with a 10 foot pole. Try visiting their discussion group and preach to them about the benefits of NiCad. Please do that, I would enjoy the entertainment.
rec.models.rc.air rec.models.rc.land

I would really like to see an authoritative citation for that 1% self discharge rate claim, Mark.

If ignorance is bliss, you must be very blissful, Mark.

That's one of the silliest things you have said, Mark.
<snipped lots more fan-boy spam for Ridgid>

Having to take care of batteries is for days gone by, Mark. A lithium-ion battery charger takes care of the battery for you.

I have read lots, Mark, but I won't hold my breath waiting for you to provide any authoritative citations to back up what you say. Besides shilling for Ridgid, yours is obviously unsubstantiated "I am the authority" crap.

Much of what you say is nonsense, Mark, that's an excellent example. And you pretend to be an RC enthusiast.
NiCad is inferior to NiMH and even more inferior to lithium-ion. That's why you don't find NiCad batteries in stores anymore. NiCads are still in some products, but those products should be avoided. Almost all laptop computers and cell phones use lithium-ion because it is by far the best current battery technology.
Are you new to USENET, Mark? Bullshit walks, especially here.

<c943eb9a-eff5-4ab8-a317-d0093a64a892 s9g2000prm.googlegroups.com> <Gs%Pk.6309$ZP4.299 nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com>

.NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

www.batteryuniversity.com will help you, a bit. If you dont know Nicad outlasts Liion by years and cycles you are not a tool user, pro, or learned.
What do you think we were doing before LiIon came out, and what you "know" is false. LiIon dont have the life or take the abuse, thats why the biggest manufacturers of rC stuff still offer Nicad for those that want long life. The biggest and most succesfull manufacturer of RC cars www.Traxxas.com sill offers what you with lack of wisdom call inferior, they offer all 3 types, but you forget cost and life. Aircraft dont fly to weel with heavy Nicad, but cant take the constant abuse Nicad car owners dish out.
Its you thats needs to learn LiIon limitations, you have 6 100 packs that will last 2-3 years, then you are screwed. Most everything is made in China, I thought you had half a brain till I read this stupidity from you, Ans Sanyo, Panasonic even your Bosch are made there is whole or part, its called cheap labor. Even Bosch uses Nicads, In stores, Like HD you dont buy tool batteries in those little packs on the front display, you never did. Quit your LiIon bosch 'great deal troll" and in 3 year piss off 700$ on 6 new packs, My warrantied Ridgid Nicad and LiIon packs will be free when I need them. What a waste, 3 tools, and not one of them light enough for all day use, or smalll spaces or small enough to fit in your pocket, and in 2-3 years they will all be dead-sucker.

"This warranty applies only to the original purchaser at retail and may not be transferred."
I get it, ransley, you shill for Ridgid because you are effectively a captive micro-stockholder in their company (and for whatever personal reasons you can't keep quiet about it).
--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/3056505603