Border paper/drywall oops...

So I'm new to this group--and am looking for help.
we live in a 10 year old townhome, and are trying to fix it up to sell it, but aren't exactly construction or DIY wizards. The previous owner put up all this very traditional border paper in beige, burgundy and sage green--colors I don't love--in all the bathrooms, and we have been living with these colors all this time. In our master bath, the border paper has become loose in some parts, and is really unsightly.
Since my husband and I have been on a painting rampage, we started pulling on the border paper, and off came the builder's one coat of primer/paint and some sections of the surface of the drywall. I can see the white underneath in a couple of small places, but mostly it's brown paper.
We then got online and discovered a page on BobVila.com which suggests a hairdryer to loosen the glue. Oops.
What are your thoughts regarding the repair of the drywall before we paint? Tape, mud or just test spackle? It's in the master bathroom, so will get steam from the shower.
First lets get to the real problem.
Why are you painting? You just said the previous owner choose colors you don't like. You may be doing the same thing to anyone else, I would give an allowance to the new owner to repaint to his colors himself or offer to have it painted to his colors. He may not buy just because to him, your colors stink.

If in fact you have pulled the paper from the drywall itself and have exposed the gypsum which the drywall is made from you can just use light coats of spackle over it and give it a light sanding to feather out the edges.
Then apply a brush coat of latex primer over the patched area followed by a rolled coat of latex in an neutra color such as off-white or eggshell color to the entire room to prepare for sale. The neutral colors come in and out of style themselves but most people also know if they want to change color it is easy to paint over a neutral base with a single coat of whatever color they choose.
Generally speaking, there's no reason to worry about "steam" from the master bedroom from a near-by shower or bath. If its really that much of a problem you should have an exhaust in the bathroom and probably already have one as it is now code in newer construction. Furthermore, all sales are "as is" anyway and unless somebody can show you pulled a fast one in bad faith there's nothing anybody can or should be able to complain about anyway.
<%= Clinton Gallagher NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com / MAP http://wikimapia.org/#yC038073&x=-88043838&z &l=0&m=h

I have been successful repairing damage to the sheetrock paper using an oil base primer FIRST over the entire affected area, then using a skim coat. The problem with trying to skim the area first is that the paper gets caught in the knife and will make streaks. In addition, a water base primer will cause the paper to also come apart and get in your way.