Boise "I" Beams

Page 5 of 6
snipped-for-privacy@cpu-net.net wrote:

Caro Marcello, you must have been a fact checker in an earlier incarnation. Your diligence is exemplary...you can tell there's a but coming, I suppose. Unfortunately all of those big numbers with soooo many decimal points and zeros makes for dry reading. In other words your presentation needs some pizazz. If you could work up some pie charts and graphics, maybe a nice PowerPoint presentation with some nifty slide transitions, that would be fabulous.
I'll be at my desk at 9 tomorrow morning, so get cracking!

Those that are recorded of course. The UK is very efficient at recording data. Crimes stats make the UK look like the wild west in some areas, yet in reality it is far from the case.
I was emphasising Latin counties in general, well southern Europe really. Now Greece!
As to electrical fires. many are at a portable appliance, such as a hairdryer.toaster or whatever, and not the electrical system itself. New UK systems require RCDs, which make a difference in protection. Also only in the past few years do electrical system require certification of the installer - gas has required certification for a long time. In future electrical problems should drop as systems become safer - no "electrician" from Kosovo or one of the 800,000 Poles that have flocked over, will be able to wire up anymore (well not legally).

Yep.
You have to take into account the UK is colder and uses heating far more than Italy. You will find a big difference from north to south Italy I am sure with heating appliance fires, so Italy in proportion to their appliances would be more than the UK. In the UK many gas appliances are connected to the old Victorian brick chimney which can crumble inside.

It could be. If the fires is electrically ignited it could be that it is a portable appliance.

Northern Italy is like a different country in the people and the looks. A part of it even speaks German.
My broad stroke generalities to northern Europe and south is pretty spot on. If you have been around it all like I have you will agree. Only two months ago a British family in a hotel in Greece was killed by fumes from a gas appliance because of poor installation. In the UK you have to be registered, requiring the necessary education, qualifications and experience to fit and commission gas appliances. They don't bother and any fool from the street can do it.
Imposing higher regulations from Brussels helps, (the standard of electrical equipment has risen) however only when proper certification is implemented for installers and maintenance people will southern Europe improve.
RicodJour wrote:

Addendum. At http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/statistics/national/non-residential.shtm
you'll find two pdfs dealing with school fires, the leading cause of which is incendiary (arson) or suspicious (kids smoking?). Most fires are outside. Those inside tend to start in bathrooms. But fire sprinklers and fire alarms apparently save the day in nearly all cases.
Marcello

In the UK fire vehicles do not sound their sirens unless they want other road users to get out the way at junctions. The traffic lights are changed to green in their favour in many cities. Many may get to a call and not sound the siren at all.
Also in the UK there are the strictest electrical regulations in the world (others may equal), with now fitting only by registered electricians. Also the same with gas.
Electrical appliances to EU code are also far safer than decades past.
In the village I grew up in, they had a fire truck without a muffler (long story). When it pulled out of the fire hall, the motor would drown out the siren. You knew when that thing was coming.
John wrote:

Holy Toledo, I don't know what half that stuff is, and I've not led a sheltered life. If I did happen to see the stuff, that I don't know what it is, I wouldn't know what it was called. Does that make sense????
So basically "flashing" would be a zoning violation?
Or instead of the twinky defense, you could have the "hey man, I'm properly zoned".
snipped-for-privacy@cpu-net.net wrote:

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id '3&Itemid4
RicodJour wrote:

One problem is demographical, young folks move in to a new area and have lots of babies, and then need schools, then the neighbourhood becomes fogy and the schools 1/2 empty and perhaps even redundant, in some places that could be 10-15 year cycle. Ken

Yep. My school lasted 20 years. It was very well designed and built. In hindsight they would have built a less expensive structure.
John wrote:

Maybe the answer is to get a formula for a temporary school (aside from little portables) that's nice but can be disassembled to modular mobile pieces, then reconnected or stored, that's still a bit classy. Ken
RicodJour wrote:

There is nothing wrong with wood beams. Why do you think they should be concrete or steel?
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

I never said there was anything wrong with wood beams per se. I believe that municipal buildings, and schools in particular, should be held to a higher standard. The idea of a one room wood schoolhouse is romantic, but there are other factors and objectives in play.
There is inarguably a need for public shelters in emergencies and unless you want to build separate structures, or camp out in the Superdome, municipal buildings are the logical candidates. Since there are far more schools than town halls, and most people would agree that if anyone deserves the extra "protection" children are again the logical candidates....school's it is.
RicodJour wrote:

What is the extra protection that steel or concrete provides over wood?
Matt

I find it appalling that you need to explain this.
Matt Barrow wrote:

Matt has a timber framed log home and loves wood (as do I). Don hates government spending. John apparently has a bone to pick with Boise Cascade. I tilt at windmills.
"RicodJour"> wrote

Stealing. I hate stealing, by anybody. How the thief spends the booty after the fact is not my primary concern, unless the money is spent towards efforts to steal even more. Its funny, voters give the politicians the OK to steal and then complain about how its spent.

If I built a building in 2003 with Boise joists I'd be wondering what those stamps on the sides of the joists say. I'd also be watching the ceiling for any sagging.

I would worry at any Boise joists. A gut feeling tells me that I'm sure this incorrect glue mixing is not a one off.
wrote in message

Maybe he should buy an old single room schoolhouse to live in.

As do I, especially spending that is outside of a proper function of government. That said, let me just repeat the old chiche, "Penny wise, Pound foolish".

Obviously!
I have little or no patience with childish foolishness.
--
Matt
Matt Barrow wrote:

The adult variety being preferable? ;)