Best wall construction to stop a truck.

Page 1 of 2
My property is at a dead-end, and people always bump into my brick wall when turning around. During the last few years, the problem seems to have gotten worse, and both sides of the entrance to my property are severely cracked and need demolition. But, how do I reconstruct the wall so that when an SUV backs into the wall, the SUV and not my wall will be damaged? How much rebar, cinder block, concrete, depth of footing, etc?
Alan wrote:

Can you install some steel posts, build a barricade in front of the wall, instead of allowing the vehicles to hit the wall in the first place?
RicodJour wrote:

Lots of stuff out there.
Have a look at http://tinyurl.com/22na3x .
--
Notan

the company I work for has built many barricades to prevent forklifts from hitting equipment. we simply bury a 6" schedule 80 pipe 3 feet below grade & pour concrete around it & inside it
RicodJour wrote:

Yes, most gas stations around here use well casing buried 6' in the ground and then filled with concrete. I suppose an SUV might be able to get through that, but they would have a significant "reminder" of their error emblazoned in their bumper!
Matt
I believe such posts are called bollards. They are quite effective as the poster who noted that they are located at the ends of gas pump islands pointed out.
A few years ago, we had kids in the area who were getting their kicks from knocking down mailboxes with their cars. At my suggestion, my neighbor constructed a bollard with 6 inch concrete-filled pipe and then boxed it out with 1x pine and sat his mailbox atop the structure.
The result could not have been better. The little assholes hit it and demolished their car to the point where they couldn't even move it. When the cops showed up, the kids swore they accidentally drifted off the road and clipped the mailbox. The other four smashed mailboxes on the street were a little tougher for them to explain. It was a great night..... Old fart homeowners 1, punk kids 0.

Great story. (I used to be with the Punks, but I was then put on waivers and was picked up a few years later by the Farts. I plan to finish off my career with them.)
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Glenn wrote:

For sure, its called something like "erecting an unnatural obstacle".

Like a building's not one of those.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

But a building isn't erected for the purpose of being a trap for automobiles.

Thanks for the great advice guys! I do have a question of clarification. The 6" concrete pipe appears to be popular. Is 3 feet below grade deep enough?
Hey, Thanks for the great ideas! 6" pipe buried 3-4' below grade and filled with concrete to protect the wall might just work.
Next problem is that I don't have room for a curb or boulders in front of the wall, and maybe even the 6" pipes. There's also a gate to be concerned about in the center of the end of the street, between two parts of the wall. I'm also afraid that wrought iron might get dented. The vehicles aren't driving fast, just backing up and given the close tolerances and poor visibility, they hit the wall or the gate.
But, I don't want to recess the wall-gate combination back further into the property because as it is, the driveway makes a sharp left toward the garage. So, it sits on the edge of the public street.
If I could embedd the 6" pipes into the wall somehow, that would be better for space considerations, and for looks.
Alan

Alan wrote:

It sounds like you're talking about a new, *reinforced* wall.
Do you really want to go there?
--
Notan

You may want to go the other direction. Instead of a barracade, how about something like a replaceable flag? did down to insert a pipe, say 1", then cut off the pipe even with the ground level. Insert a 3/4" fiberglass rod with a flag (maybe your favorite sports, or country) so when someone does hit it, (slowely backing up) the fiberglass will bend, and make a sound against the car. You may have to replace the fiberglass but I'll bet it's a whole lot cheaper, easier, and less law suit happy. Lou
John Reddy wrote:

I agree with the outcome but all the parents of the little sweetheart kids have to do is to call one of the many personal injury attorneys with the big billboard next to the highway or their picture on the city buses and they will have to open their wallets. A buddy of mine was sick of his mail box being knocked down and did a similar "reinforcement". The kids in his area would drive around with a bat or pipe and hit the mailboxes. The kid got hurt and even though he was the one who was destroying the property of others he got a sizable award.
Finding the keyboard operational George entered:

The laws must vary widely on this subject. You would have a hard time finding a lawyer to take such a case in NJ. Smacking a mailbox on a post usually gets a destruction of property and a reckless driviung charge unless one of the actors has a history. Then it might get bumped up to a federal offence of interfering with the mail. Judges take a very dim view of criminals sueing for injuries they got while commiting a crime. Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
The Other Funk wrote:

But there are plenty of cases of criminals suing in such cases. I recently read where a burglar cut himself on glass that he had broken while "on the job" and he sued and got an award.
I doubt Jersey is different than other states. There are plenty of lawyers who want to transfer wealth to themselves and will take any case as long as they can find deep pockets associated.
Sometimes you just have to shake your head when you see what lawyers will do. My friend had a car for his daughter to use while she was at college. She graduated and got a job. My friend would sometimes use the car and one day the transmission died. A towing service picked it and they said that periodically a metal salvage company picks up cars and if he gives them the title they would have the car disposed of. He transfered the title by signing the area that notifies the state that the car is being junked.
The towing company decided to repair the car and falsified the title to change it from junk to a transfer and let a young family member use the car. The family member and friend were drinking and using drugs and the car caught fire and the occupants died. Two months later my friend was served with a lawsuit claiming he was negligent because he didn't keep the car in proper repair. They also sued manufacturers of parts that were used in the car. It cost my friend over $250,000 for the reward and to pay the lawyers he had to hire.
Finding the keyboard operational George entered:

I don't know exactly why we don't have a lot of ths kind of suit here but I know a lot of civil trials are in front of a jury. I think (or hope) that a number of jurors are of the mindset of "You have got to be kidding me". I think it's criminal that your friend even had to hire a lawyer after he legally transfered the title on the car. I realize that it's customary to list anyone with deep pockets but there has to be some limits. Did the provider of the drugs also get named? Bob
Coffee worth staying up for NY Times