Beam Size ?

I am trying to find 4x beam size to get L/480 or less deflection with Structural Select Doug Fir and 10 + 60 PSF loading.

Span 124" supporting 86" of joist --> 5200LB total uniform load Span 56" supporting 89" of joist --> 2500LB Span 108" supporting 42" of joist --> 2250LB

"Sagulator" computations gives me 4x12 for the first and 4x8 for the other two. Anyone with data tables or better software: does this look right to you?

Are there other *free* online tools for this? (I used the AWC calculator for joists)

Cheers, Shawn

Reply to
Rima Neas

The beams look to be about right for the criteria given.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

There are free services on the other end of your phone as well. Your friendly local truss/engineered wood fabricator/supplier will be more than happy to take your faxed design criteria and size the required beam for you.

For a background on why I'd recommend using engineered wood:

DIYer table, pay particular attention to the notes at the bottom for your required deflection conversion.

RicodJour

Thank you for checking.

Reply to
Rima Neas

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. The last URL does not work for me... perhaps it is accessible only to employees from the inside of the firewall?

Cheers, Shawn

Reply to
Rima Neas

The first one works, the second is 404.