Bathroom Light Fixture

Hi,

I have a new house but my electrician bailed on me before installing the last few ligth fixtures. The only problem I have is a bathroom vanity light. There is a switch on the wall to the left of the vanity and another on the right side.

When I cut through the drywall to find the wire the only thing I can come up with is a wire, probably 14/3, that appears to run from the direction of the switch on the left up to the level where the vanity light would go and then down towards the switch on the right. My thinking is is that I should cut this wire and install the light resulting in a switch to light to switch type circuit. Am I right or am I missing something here?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
smk01

Google for "Circuit Detective" without the quotes.

Reply to
J.C.

I purchased an inexpensive laser level at Wal Mart that incorporated a "inside the wall, hot wire finder" (Ok I made up the title, but you get the point.) Anyway, using a simular device, you could check the cable to determine if it was the right one by flipping the switch on-and-off and watching to see if the current stopped.

The two switches are a puzzle unless one was intended for the fixture over the lavatory and the other for a ceiling vent fan. (Strange way to wire them thought.) If the cable is indeed 14/3 (check this carefully) you will need to determine which ungrounded conductor was intended for the fan and which for the light. As it'sin the right spot, it's probably the cable intended for the light. Picking the correct, ungrounded conductor is one probem, installing the proper junction box is the other. (Not a big deal if you have done this before.)

However, if you at all uncertain as to how to do this, do hire a professional and make certain, as poorly made electrical connections have the very real potential of causing fires; even years later. Don't mess with electricity if you really don't know exactly what you are doing.

Reply to
Dennis

Seen something like that in long hallways. Lightswitch on either end. The direction (up/down) to turn the switch to energize the lights in the hallway varies on the other switch position (up/down). They were obviously dependent on each other in the circuit.

Reply to
Noncompliant

That's called a "three-way" and is required for stairs (switch at each level) and is usually found in hallways. Can also have 4-ways, 5-ways, etc. if desired.

Doubt that was what was going on in bathroom. Probably using single circuit to control two different fixtures (oh light and ceiling vent fan.) Fairly common.

Reply to
Dennis