Basement Subfloor using recycled foam product

I am looking for user experience with a sub floor material made from recycled foam. I found it available from the following two sources: in Canada at:

In USA at:
I'm not sure if they are connected or simply one company is a copy-cat of the other. Anyhow, it seems like a good product and the sample piece I have seems OK. But I can not find any recommended methods for use as a basement sub floor. I.e. should I apply plywood over top? How thick? Can I install laminate without the plywood? Should I include a separate vapor barrier under or over top?

My house was built in '67 and the basement floor currently has a glued carpet over top (which is getting ripped out).

Anyone with experience or recommendations would be appreciated.

Reply to
Mr. Robinson

IMHO, unless I misunderstand what they are selling, it is not appropriate for a floor. You don't mention what you are putting on the floor (carpet, hardwood, softwood, or one of the laminates) but that will also make a difference.

What I do with basement floors is to lay a grid of 2x4 (flat side down, so height is 2" (1.5 really). Then fill in the grid with rigid building foam insulation. If the floor is wet, then all bets are off of corse, and as well, I usually put in a couple of 'monitoring' holes (in closets, or other out of the way areas) to allow checking for moisture on the slab as time goes on.

On top of the gridwork, I lay sub-flooring and usually carpet. A

*really dry* basement could be done with hardwood or other material, but most are not dry enough. I'd be happy to try to get a picture of a neighbor's basement floor which looks dry, but when they laied laminate on it, the laminate failed in about 4 years.
Reply to
PeterD

Reply to
jloomis

What did tech support at the company say when you called them? If they couldn't answer your question, they weren't very helpful and you shouldn't buy from their products.

RicodJour

ote:

I am guessing that he probably wants opinions of those who don't have a stake in selling the product. Unless, of course, he works for the company himself...

Reply to
celticsoc

Sounds almost exactly like what I do, except I use 8 mil plastic (never thought about using weather guard roofing material, and will give that some serious thought the next time around!) I have always done the sleepers flat because there never seems to be enough head room in basements! I guess a garage conversion may have better headroom, however.

Reply to
PeterD

Reply to
jloomis