Baseboards & trim or carpet first?

I'm curious. I've seen this done both ways, but when I built my first house, I put the baseboards and trim in first, and then the carpet installers came in afterwards. However, I've also seen it done where the carpet was put in first and then the baseboards and trim. Personally, I think it looks better with the baseboards and trim in first, especially upon the second time carpet is installed (because the installers don't pull the trim and get in close when they pull old carpet and put in new).
So I'm just wondering what the standard is? What the preferable way to do it is.
Do you put in carpet first or do you put in the trim and baseboards first?
PS. By Trim, I mean, the plinth.
Trim first. Good luck removing carpet from tack stripes when the trim holds it down.
--
please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

"HockeyFan" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
I always hold the trim up 1/2" so the carpet can be tucked under, tack strips are held off the wall anyway.

Trim first, spaced 1/2" off the floor, and space the tack strips 1/2" out from there. This gives the carpet installer a place to "tuck" the edges of the carpet for a nice clean edge.
Also, you'll probably end up replacing the carpet at some point too, and the trim will already be in place. Might as well build it that way from the start.
Anthony

the only exception is glue down carpet (usually commercial situations). base goes after carpet.