Avoiding "Gap" Between 2 Windows

Converting garage into family room. I want to have a set of double windows installed. I thought I could go out and buy two regular windows and have them installed side-by-side. Now I am worried.
I want to make sure our windows are side-by-side, with little gap between them. Our nieghbors, who also converted their garage, bought 2 windows, and now there is a several inch gap between the two. They filled the gap with siding, and the wife and I hate the look.
Here is a picture I found on the Internet, similar to the neighbors. notice the several inch gap:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x92/wrldruler_photos/window1.jpg
Instead, I want the windows to be side-by-side with no gap, like this example:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x92/wrldruler_photos/Window2.jpg
So what did the nieghbors do wrong that left them with such a wide gap between windows?
Can I put two sperate windows side-by-side with no gap, or should I have custom ordered a twin window?
Thanks,
Chris
wrldruler wrote:

The didn't do anything "wrong", that's just the way they chose to have the windows installed.

Call your window supplier _tomorrow_, and ask him this question. You might need to order some optional trim, or you might need to cancel and reorder.
Some windows have an optional piece of trim that can tie two windows together. Others could be joined with some custom-made pieces. A good carpenter can make them look any way you want.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

In addition to Steve Bell's comments: Does your building code have any requirements for wind resistance? T
wrldruler wrote:

I think your question would be answered by getting some additional information on window nailing flanges and how openings are framed. In addition go to a window outlet and look at flangeles window inserts.It seems you want to custom order some kind of double window. T
I'm good now. Andersen sells a Joining Kit.
Just for the record, for all those thinking of running down to the Home Depot to buy Andersen windows.....
Home Depot said it would take 2 weeks to get the kit in at a cost of $37.
Called my local building supply. They had more Andersen windows in stock than Home Depot. Price was maybe $10 more per window. They had the kit in stock. They even offered to put the 2 windows together for about $50 in labor, and offered to do it within the hour if I needed. And they were helpful, knowledgeable, and just generally eager to please.
So I am returning the HD windows, and spending the extra $70 at the local building supply, and will have the exact windows I want within an hour.
Thanks everyone.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:07:22 -0700 (PDT), wrldruler

Wow, a happy ending!
PeterD wrote:

I love it when a plan comes together!
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
On 9/25/2008 9:07 AM, wrldruler wrote:

And now you know why most professionals choose to go to the real building supply instead of the Borgs. Plus, with my contractors 10% discount, most things are cheaper at the lumber yard.
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

That's intentional. Looks fine to me.

That window was built as one unit not in two parts. The horizontal members are one piece from end to end.
Just show that to any window supplier and they will sort you out.