Automatic Gate Opener Its a tough one....

Hi all,
Im getting ready to (as soon as I figure out how) put in 2 large (12' wide by 5' high) woden gates at the front of my driveway which I want to be hung from hinges (on one side ) of large masonry pilars. The gates will be at the street entrance and exit of my property ( U shaped driveway) there will be 4 pilars, 1 on either side of the 2 gates. I want the hinge (or swing point) to be on the adjacent property side pilar on the inside middle of the pilar, so when they are open they will swing into the driveway and continue till paralell with each property line. Still with me? I hope Im describing this clearly.
The problem Im having is I want to use the exisisting gate opener that simply rolled the gates in twards each other in the middle on wheels not swinging them open and shut. I know there has got to be a way that I can use a series sprokets to make this work but I just cant seem to figure it out. Getting them to swing open is not a problem.... its getting them shut again after that.... keep in mind these gates are very large and will be made out of old 2x6 so they are going to be pretty darn heavy, also I wanted to make them split in the middle and open to each side ( like french doors) but I think that would be even more difficult. I know this is a tough one but any help would be appreciated. I know I can use the power actuated rams and I may have to but Id like to see If I can use what I have first. G.P
Either you know how to do this or you don't. If you can't figure it out, you may be able to get some inexpensive help from a mechanical engineer student at a local college. More expensive would be to buy gate openers designed for what you need off-the-shelf. Even more expensive would probably be to hire a mechanical engineer to design what you need.
"Italian Mason" wrote in message

http://www.gateopenerproducts.com/ Is a good place to start looking for your needs...up to 1000# & 20' long dual swing gates.
Dan

Italian Mason wrote:

GP-
I am an ME & I doubt I would attempt to modify a rolling gate actuator for use with a swing gate even if I got the rolling gate actuator for free.
I would suggest getting a swing gate actuator .....one of the tight package style rather thn the crank arm type
http://www.gate-opener.com/index_swing.html
cheers Bob
keep in mind these gates are very large and will be made out of old 2x6 so they are going to be pretty darn heavy,<<<
You are going to go through all this trouble for a gate made of "OLD 2X6's ???
--
JerryD(upstateNY)

JerryD(upstateNY) wrote:

Jerry-
By old 2x6's I think he means full size...not the 1.5 x 5.5 modern stuff.
I'm guessing he's going for the "old timber look".
cheers Bob