Attaching Oak Handrail

Any advise or websites that will teach me how to attach a oak handrail to a hollow newel post (not hollow enough to get a wrench on a nut). Thanks Jeff

Reply to
<doccook

Don&#39;t have any idea about websites, but...

The traditional way is to use a counterbore through the underside of the rail. One can either use large screw(s) from the rail into the post or hanger bolt(s) into the post and a nut in the rail. Depends on the size of the rail/post, obviously. Then the hole is filled w/ plug. If painted, never know it, if stained/varnished, needs some additional care to make the plug unobtrusive.

There&#39;s now a new type of fastening system called Invis=AE that uses a spinning magnet to tighten hidden fasteners. It is manufactured by:

Invis North America, Inc.

8001 Irvine Center Drive Suite 400 Irvine, CA 92618-2956 877-867-9019

The same fastening system (including the handrail jig) is also available from the manufacturer of the wooden stair rail parts. This manufacturer refers to the system as the "EasAlign" system. For more information, visit:

Crown Heritage

800-745-5931

I&#39;ve only seen these demonstrated, never used them myself. Think it probably only practical (owing to cost) if you&#39;re in the business although I&#39;ve not even looked at the manufacturers&#39; website, it _has_ to be pretty pricey.

Reply to
dpb