Attaching gate post to side of porch

Hello,
I am about to reside my front porch (cedar shingles over drainage matrix over plywood sheathing). The driveway gate is currently hinged off a post that is attached to the porch on top of the existing shingle siding. What is the proper construction and flashing detail here?
My first instinct is to make two or three spacer blocks with the proper bevel so that each one will sit against the angled face of a shingle and provide a plumb face for attaching the post. Then lag screws would go through these into the framing of the porch. The spacer blocks would hold the post away from the siding slightly to provide an air gap. Would any flashing be required?
Another option would be to put the gate post against the sheathing and bring the shingle siding to it, like a corner board. I think of the gate as being less permanent than the siding job, so I'd prefer to have siding underneath the gate post. But if this attachment method would work better in the long run, I'll go with it.
Of course, I could move the gate post 6 inches away from the porch and set it in its own concrete footing. But I have to think the post would be less stable than if it were attached to the house. The gate is roughly 6 feet tall and 9 feet wide.
Thanks, Wayne
In a previous post Wayne Whitney wrote...

Wayne:
I like this idea beast. No flashing required. Here's a link to a polypropylene spacer used for ledgers that might give you an idea or two.
http://www.deck2wallspacer.com /
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

OOPS! That should be "best" of course. Guess I'm spending too much time reading "Where the Wild Things Are" to my grandchildren. <grin>
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co