Attaching drywall to cement block through 2 inch foam insulation

Hello:

I have a cement block basement that is insulated with 2" foam glued in place.

To meet the building code, I must cover the foam with drywall.

What methods, other than furring and expensive 'Tapcon' screws, may be used to attach the drywall?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert.Thompson

Liquid nails. just like the foam.

Steve Barker

Vapour barrier first or is the insulation or dry wall foil covered?

Reply to
Cwatters

I think I'd try to cut clots inthe foam and add furring strips. Any solution involving glue is probably just asking for trouble down the road.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The foam is taped and is the type that may be used below grade (there is 2" of it under the cement floor as well) and is its own vapour barrier.

Reply to
Robert.Thompson

Shoot down or tapcon some 2-1/2" metal track (at least 1/2" off the foam) and stud it out with metal and then drywall.

Reply to
jimbobmitchell

Shoot down or tapcon some 2-1/2" metal track (at least 1/2" off the foam) and stud it out with metal and then drywall.

Nail a 2X4 plate to the floor joists (ceiling) and plumb down to the floor..Snap a chaulk line... Shoot a pressure treated 2X4 plate to the floor on the line with a Ramset... Frame 2X4 wall 16 inches on center with 2x4's Add wiring and outlets if desired.. Hang and tape drywall... Paint and enjoy....

Reply to
benick

putting walls up in a basement is asking for trouble down the road. No pain, no gain. always something.

Steve Barker

He has to cover the foam to meet code in the event of fire.

Reply to
jimbobmitchell

He has to cover the foam to meet code in the event of fire.

Reply to
Craig M

Sticking the XPS to the wall and then framing it out (with either metal or wood with a least 1/2" gap) is commonly done and an accepted method. No need to remove what's applied. If anything I would add more foam into the stud bays, not fiberglass.

Reply to
jimbobmitchell

Yep.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Fiberglass bats without the foam (that's already in place) will more than likely become saturated, at some point in time, and cause a mold problem. BTW, everything you'll ever need to know about this topic can be found at the building science website.

Reply to
jimbobmitchell

Fiberglass bats without the foam (that's already in place) will more than likely become saturated, at some point in time, and cause a mold problem. BTW, everything you'll ever need to know about this topic can be found at the building science website.

Reply to
Craig M

Why take the foam off? No need to remove the foam that is already there, and if it's adhered to the block it'll more than likely be destroyed trying to remove it.

Reply to
jimbobmitchell

What happens if the house catches fire? From what I have heard, this foam gives off toxic fumes in fires.

Reply to
RF

That is correct, hence the original post, covering it with drywall.

Reply to
jimbobmitchell