Applying architectural stone over brick substrate

I am restoring an old house that has a brick fireplace. I want to apply a stone veneer over the existing fireplace. The existing red brick is in good condition and is structurally sound. Mortar joints are solid and not crumbling. I am covering it in stoner purely for aesthetic reasons.

I need to know if I can mortar directly to the red brick, or if I need to cover the brick surface with another material before applying my scratch layer of mortar.

Looking for the advice of a pro on this.

Reply to
dtanner

I don't recommend it. Why? I like red brick. {G}

Reply to
Glenn

I'm sure the people who make the bric veneer (called brick slips here in the UK) will be able to advise.

Reply to
CWatters

When I went in to the 'experts' and asked them about installing the "stone"

on my F/P (already covered with stucco lath), when they found out I had picked a "stacked stone" type of veneer (no visible joints) they suggested I use construction adhesive rather than mortar. I found out that the installers around here do that a lot for interior jobs, especially for something small like a F/P. That would probably work well onto "brick" unless you re using "real" stone veneer.

Reply to
Rudy