Any standards for very strong door frames?

I'm wondering if there are any starndards for high strength door frames for homes.

I ask because about 6 years ago my house was broken into, they kicked the back door open and busted the door frame. After inspecting the construction of the door frame I decided that I no longer feel safe that a locked door can actually keep anyone out if they put forth even 1 oz of effort. What good is a Schlage lock if the frame is made of thin pine?

I fixed the door my self because the couple of contractors I talked to didn't know of any commercial door frames that were kick-open proof.

Just inside of the molding I bolted, using 10 four inch long 1/2 inch lag bolts to attach a full, floor to top of door frame, length of 1/4 inch angle iron. The framing it self is 3 2x4's but the final, origional, door frame included shims and thin pine. The angle iron I mounted was such that the latch and the dead bolt went into holes cut into the iron. I had to make the finishing wood extra thin to make space for the iron. No more shims or cheep pine frame to hold the door shut, now the wood is only cosmetic. I also installed a steel strap on the frame of the other side by the hinges. This was a lot of work, but ended up looking almost like the origional frame. I finished it off with a steel frame door with only a small window, so no one could climb through or reach through and get to the inside lock.

I'm wondering if there is a pre-built frame out there that I could simply have purchased and installed rather than making a customized frame, as I did?

I'm also wondering why such an easy to distroy door frame is the industry standard. I live in the Phoenix Arizona area and over the past several years have seen hundreds of homes being built, all with the same cheep door frame construction.

Reply to
42

Look up Ceco, Steelcraft, Republic, etc. Different mind set and tools to install.

Reply to
DanG

A good steel frame will work well. However, not as attractive. Mounting can be (more) difficult, but not impossible.

Of course then a steel door is next, and for absolute security: no glass.

I'd suggest a .357 or .44 as a backup protection device, and a video camera that is visible, and another one (well hidden) that shows both the visible camera and the door. Record the video as needed.

Reply to
PeterD

Thanks guys!

I'll keep those brands in mind. I like the looks of some of the Ceco doors. The doors and camera system will be installed in the new home.

Again, thanks.

Reply to
42