anchoring bottom plate to beams

What is the best way to anchor a 2x4 bottom plate of a stud wall to a double 2x8 beam running between two posts? Most of the anchoring information I have seen deals with anchoring sill plates into CONCRETE foundations.
-------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ News and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 10036 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
On Aug 22, 2:02 pm, sruscus_at_mckennalong_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (stephen) wrote:

Depending on where you are, and what your loads are, either lag bolts or metal connectors or straps, such as those manufactured by Simpson StrongTie. Check out their catalog for loads and applications.
The lag bolts just attach the plate, the straps/connectors connect stud to plate to beam.

16d nails?

16d nails have only about 14% of the withdrawal strength of 3/8 lag bolts per inch of embedment, and depending on the specific conditions, both might be inadequate. Code around here requires metal straps and the inspectors won't budge.

Well, true. But he never says what kind of wall he is anchoring to what kind of beam in what part of the country. Where I live, we nail the plates to the floor below, no hold downs, straps, lags, etc. Kinda quiet around here, I guess.
In a previous post stephen wrote...

Is the wall running parallel or perpendicular to the beam?
Is it a shear wall or only a bearing wall?
Do you have room to swing a hammer?
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

Welcome back, Bob! :-)
Matt
In a previous post Matt Whiting wrote...

Thanks to all for the greeting. Unfortunately, I'm now back in the hospital for the next 20+ days for round of step upped chemo. I will be trying to post from time to time as I have the energy.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

Pretty PLEASE!!
Bob Morrison wrote:

One day at a time!
Matt
It is NICE to see Bob back with us.
As for nailing a sill/bottom plate we used 16d for years on crawl space and basement framing. I'm old enough that I remember driving them with a hammer. Carried a 28oz rig axe for many years, don't know if I could make a day with one now.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Welcome back Bob.

If he doesn't have room to swing a hammer.....a palm nailer is a very useful tool.
cheers Bob
stephen had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Re-anchoring-bottom-plate-to-beams-10546-.htm : I have plenty of room to swing a hammer. The walls are running parallel (and on top of the beams). The floor joists are in joist hangers flush with, perpendicular to and in between the beams. I need to connect shear wall sections to the beams and want to consider additional connectors for the bearing walls as well.

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ News and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 10079 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##