Aluminum Screen Enclosure - Vinyl Lap Siding

Hey folx, I want to connect aluminum extrusion for a screened porch to existing vinyl siding, how do I do that? I don't want to cut the vinyl nor do I relish the idea of coping the aluminum to fit the vinyl profile. And filling those gaps with caulk is completely out of the question. Is there some sort of medium that can be used between the aluminum and the vinyl to close those angled openings? Thanks.
Assume a lap type siding? The very simplest would be cut some wedges and stick them on with a little panel adhesive and then simply butt your extrusion up to it.
Another simple way would be to scribe some sheetmetal to it, cut it out with snips, cut it to just lap onto your post extrusion and sink a few screws into it. Want it sealed tight? Caulk it afterward.

Yeah its a lap siding but not the standard ship lap style. Its whats called dutch lap. The panels themselves are flat but then they curve in at the lap.
) | | ) | |
Looks like this, the Mill Creek Double 4" Dutch Lap, 2nd one down. http://schmidtexteriors.com/alcoa/millcreek.htm I need to anchor the aluminum extrusion firmly to the frame wall with lags or something but don't want to crush the vinyl siding. I kinda like your idea of the wedges cause then I can put my lags at the top of each wedge and reduce the crushing. It'll be a major pain though to cut the wedges out of aluminum. Thanks.

Don wrote:

How about a length of wood? That's what I did to make a transition from a wood railing to vinyl siding. The web site link below shows the piece I made. It's a 1" x 4" about 34" long and 4" wide, but you can make it narrower or thicker. You'd have to predrill the holes for screws from the aluminum through the transition and into the siding and sheathing. Use a short piece of siding to use as a tracing pattern for cutting the wood. In the picture, it is the wood piece that is cut, not the siding. http://www.willshak.com/temp /
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Good thought. The aluminum extrusion is probably 2"x2". A "sawtoothed" piece of brick molding might be a pretty good match.

Nice. Did you cut that on a bandsaw? Thats probably what I'll do. Now I have a good reason to buy that Delta 14" bandsaw. wink
Don wrote:

I actually did it with a saber saw. You can do the long cuts on a band saw, but you'll have to switch to a saber saw for the short cuts since the band saw can't cut sideways.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It may not be that difficult. Several years ago, during our sweat equity/house-induced poverty era, I had to trim some laminate counter top. I convinced my wife that a Porter Cable router with both fixed and plunge base was the only tool for the job.
I'd bet I'm not the only one who's done something like that.
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:48:46 GMT, John Reddy

Geeze, guys, get a grip... Remember the rule:
It is better to ask forgivness than to ask permission...
Buy the tool, then get her to forgive you!!!

I have $10k worth of *hidden* tools in my garage that I neither asked for permission nor forgiveness. Keep your garage cluttered and full of spiders and its not that hard to do. (though a shiney new 14" bandsaw might be challenging) BTW: The secret to a long and happy marriage is a well stocked garage.

Her: "Why do you need a 30 x 60 garage?"
Me: "Oh, just to put a few of my things..."

LOL, you won't believe this then. Last Sept my wife said she would pay for half of a 24'x36' garage. I finished building it in Jan. 1/3 is for her car, 1/3 is for my stuff and 1/3 is my office. Here's a pik. http://tinyurl.com/2jhdan

Now that's what I'm talking about!
John Reddy wrote:

Her: Honey, I need 1" cut off this closet rod. Him: OK, I'll have to buy a $700 DeWalt double bevel sliding compound miter saw to get an accurate cut.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY