Air Compressor Noise

Hi,

We need to purchase an air compressor for painting the inside of commercial buildings. the local noise ordinance limits us to 60 dB. Can anyone recommend a particular brand? thanks much

Reply to
Danette

60 dB? That's going to be expensive, I'd guess. Maybe a unit mounted on your truck with lot's of hose?

I think you need to research that local noise ordinance some--it may not be applicable in your case (if you are lucky!) or it may have been written so poorly that you could challenge it in court and have it struck down. 60 dB is not much noise, about what a typical TV is set at, at a distance of 1 meter. Or ordinary conversation which is 60 dB. To limit equipment to that level, effectively eliminates virtualy everything!

I gotta ask: where is this noise ordinance?

Reply to
PeterD

Particularly how it's measured.

Reply to
CWatters

As a suggestion, a unit located "outside" the building with air pumped into a manifold inside the building. Run your airlines from the manifold. The new Ingersol Rands, towable axle mounted, diesel powered, are fairly quiet albeit I don't believe are below/equal to 60 db. I'd guess they're around

80~85 db@ 30'. 35 gal of diesel will run our 1250 cfm for over 10 hours wide open all day. IR makes lower CFM machines but we've never used them due to our air demands. I'm "supposing" you'll need a gas or diesel rig so you'll have no worries over feeding an electric compressor from the building your working on. IE: 220 single phase or 440 3 phase plus the electrician to wire in it etc. etc. not to mention loading/unloading/setup.

The IR's run from 100CFM & up. I'd suggest you contact a rental outfit, we're using Hertz @ the moment, and see what the specs are. I can't find any specs for noise at this time. IR & Hertz does have a 14CFM gas driven machine but we've never used one so I know nothing about it. I'm not recommending Hertz or selling IR's. Our current job necessitates renting from them as they are the best vendor for our needs @ this time & this jobsite location.

Don't forget about drying, filtering the air for painting from any compressor for painting apps.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Deckert