Advice on best Basement Construction method?

I've lived in Chattanooga, TN / Florence, AL and most recently around Atlanta, GA. I have noticed that new construction for basement homes is different when it comes to basements. In Alabama and Tennessee I see more Cement Block basement construction whereas in Atlanta I see more Poured Concrete basements. I am curious which is the best method to help prevent leakage problems? I know there is a cost difference but what I'm concerned with is more the ability to remain dry. Any experience with either or why one is superior to the other?
Thanks in advance for your answer.
Gary KW4Z wrote:

poured is definitely better than block. block by nature has joints which are potential leakage points every 8 inches.

Poured is stronger, block is cheaper. If you get block, make sure a piece of rebar is put down the core (at least every other hole) and then fully grouted. I just finished fixing a basement wall the was cracked and discovered large pieces of mortar chunks in the second row down topped with gravel so the masons only grouted the top block to make it look like they did the job properly.
Steve.
Check with your local building department as to the waterproofing materials different areas allow different materials. As far as which one is superior....it really depends on how the workmanship is done. There are hindreds of thousands of block basments that do not leak, there are also many poured basements that dont. Which one is stronger, again they are pretty much equal. Gary KW4Z wrote:

For those of you who answered so quickly I just wanted to say thank you. I have copied each of your post and information. I do appreciate it.
On 8/6/06 11:17 AM, in article C0FB8035.CC8C% snipped-for-privacy@charter.net, "Gary KW4Z"

Poured is the only way to go if you want a dry basement.
There are other things to keep in mind though like: drain tile on both sides of the footings insulating the outside wall of the basement walls etc ..... see: http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/foundations/default.htm http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/homeowner.htm
Just for fun check this on crawl spaces http://www.advancedenergy.org/buildings/knowledge_library/crawl_spaces /