Advice needed regarding split entry expansion.

Has anybody ever seen a split entry that had been expanded in some way and that it actually looked good ? I live in a fairly new split on a beautiful country lot, 2+ acres and we really do not want to move just to get more space but we REALLY need more space.
Here is what we have now;
http://www.halifaxhomes.net/pdf/split8.pdf
Here is what I am thinking. If you look at the above plan, one end of the house has an approximately 15' wide bay design. Could I not just add another 15' wide bay 2 story extension on the opposite side of the house ? It could be built to the same dimensions as the existing one. I would also lose the garage door and convert it to living space. I realize the front door will be offside but with the appropriate landscaping I think this might be do-able. I just don't want something that will be unsellable 10 years down the road though.
This expansion would give me about an additional 870 sq feet.
WhyMe wrote:

I suggest an architect that deals with residential construction. You might also post on alt.architecture or alt.building.architecture.
My first response: You are giving a solution without fully describing the problem, which makes it impossible to say whether the scheme will function or not. Adding a bay to the bedroom end of the house suggests the need for a hall. It the problem is addressed as one of appearance, I think it does not have to be a tower. The entrance "off center" is not - in and of itself - a problem. The relation of the building to the site is also important. TB