Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Circular Blade for Cutting Both Wood and Metal
I have some 2'x4' panels I am using for a kitchen remodel. The panels are particle board wrapped and glued with thin gauge stainless steel sheet. I would like to cut them down on a table saw,...
3
3

Bosch Digital protractor
Saw this on TV this AM. "Cool Tools" on the DIY channel. This is not the digital level, but is used for determining angles and calculating compound cuts. Pricey for homeowners, but for someone in the...
2
2

Nails or screws for old cedar siding?
I'm painting a house I just bought (my very first house), and I have a question: Several of the old cut-nails used to hold the siding on are loose, and therefore the siding is loose. I'm in...
9
9

Building an open roof over an existing patio
I'm new to building things for myself but I tried and I have new respect for the people who do this for a living. I saw a design in a book and it called for 4 by8 beams with a box of the same...
5
5

spotting in painting on acoustic ceiling?
Am getting my house ready to sell and after removing some less popular features, now have some holes to patch and touch up. Patching them is no problem, getting the paint to blend in is. The ceiling...
3
3

Electric connect question
I need to connect two (don't know what gauge yet --- 2.0 3.0 ???) electric cables together in such a manner that they can be disconnected in about a month after a complete new cable system is...
4
4

white styrofoam vs pink styrofoam as a thermal barrier
I am wanting to use a thin layer of styrofoam outside of the sheathing of my house as a thermal barrier... what i see out there (here in canada) is the standard pink (extruded) stuff and the white...
5
5

Learn HOW Process Integrity reduced the overall construction cost
The need of hour of every construction industry is to acheive a balance between quality and costs throughout the integration of the entire supply chain including clients, professional advisers,...

drilling into rock
Hi, I want to build stairs on our land, but need to drill into rock (granite i think) in order to make posts to connect the stairs to. My question is... is there a drilling tool (preferably as powered...
7
7

Are the gaps in decking boards (PT or composite) *REALLY* necessary?
I've spoken to a number of people who have put composite decks in and they followed the manufacturers suggestions carefully and ended up with boards that just "seem" too far apart. A friend of...
20
20

Wood-I or Open Truss Joists?
about to order the floor joist system for my house, and have been hearing different things about open-truss-systems: they sound like having a drum under/over you, or: they will make your...
14
14

Remove 13 ft. bearing wall - Beam choices?
Before I go and hire an architect, get building permit, etc. I would like to get a ballpark on what this might look like... I have a bearing wall (2x4 studs) which is 13 ft. long in my living room...
56
56

PVC Fascia
Anyone have experience using pvc fascia at an eave? I'm concerned about UV protection.
2
2

remodel
so now, we are replacing all the plumbing from the upstairs bathroom out, not taking out the old, just adding new. since we changed the whole layout, we have to set all new pipe, crawling under the...

Development problems of the intelligent building in Australia
Any suggestions for this topic?