400A resedential service

Page 3 of 3

You can leave off the "less than or equal to 400A" part and still have a true statement. E.g., if you require 600A, you'll probably find 400A service much better than 200A, too. You'd find 600A service even better, of course. :-)
--
--Tim Smith

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

Certainly. If 200A isn't enough 400A might be called for. If this is a residential service, reducing consumption would be a better place to start. ...unless you make global warming films.

<snipped trailing stuff>
-- Keith

I have 150 amp service, 2.5 ton airconditioner, two refridgerators and my last electric bill was $47 just to make you feel bad. Running my airconditioner does no seem to make major change in my bill, and I turn it down to 70-71 degrees at night.
greg
$47..... Now that hurts....

Well, if we're going to have a pity party...
My last electric bill was about $240, and it's pretty much that much year round.
Outdoor hot tub. Asthmatic husband who wheezes when it's hot and humid, so the thermostat is set to 70 and the air conditioner runs almost every day that the furnace is not on.
Obviously, if I was motivated to reduce consumption I'd insist that he get rid of the hot tub.
Cindy Hamilton
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:24:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

Well, at least you didn't say you'd get rid of him! <bg>
We run about $190 in the summer (no A/C) and twice that in the winter (mostly electrical heat).
I can think of one reason to go to that high a service, if you have a large shop out back, lots of wood working tools, machine tools, ect, would be a good reason to get that much juice

I can think of one other reason you may want a 400a service...if you have on demand water heater, them buggers can pull some real amps

Believe many have established that going to 400A service isn't going to change your electric usage, consequently, your electric bill.
Just one caution running electrical service conduit. If, for any reason, you have to cross 2 service conduits at approximately perpendicular to and physically near each other, the meter may register additional power usage.
--
Dave

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 06:56:55 -0500, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Can you explain this? A cited web page, or book, would be good.