400A resedential service

Not if you are looking to reduce your electric bill. It doesn't matter if you have a 400A, a 200A, or a 100A panel. Your bill is based on the power that you consume. If you want to lower your bill you'll have to look at ways to reduce the power you use.

Reply to
hawgeye

OK, let's try this. Say you are using 1000 gallons of water a day and the water flows into your home just fine through your 1 inch water pipe.

Now you want to reduce your water bill. You find ways to use LESS water. Say you reduce your water usage to 500 gallons a day. You have cut your water usage in half. You could probably get by with a 1/2 inch water pipe now!

Same thing with ELECTRICITY. If you use less electricity, you don't need a larger "pipe". 400 amps is a larger "pipe"!

Reply to
Bill

Is there any chance that there is a lower cost for putting in a larger service? I remember living on farm in the 70s, and the power company gave us a better rate when we put in new electrical service. This included having to do electric heat, electric appliances, and having a automatic yard light.

-john-

Reply to
John A. Weeks III

If you don't need it, no - in fact it's a waste of money, time and materials. There are houses that need 400A service, just very, very few of them.

If you want to reduce your electric bill, take the advice you've been given to analyze your electricity consumption and take it from there.

RicodJour

You got a better rate per KWH, but you gave more money to the utility.

That's classical dope pusher behavior - get them started at low cost, then when they're hooked they'll more than make-up for any short term losses.

RicodJour

I have 150 amp service, 2.5 ton airconditioner, two refridgerators and my last electric bill was $47 just to make you feel bad. Running my airconditioner does no seem to make major change in my bill, and I turn it down to 70-71 degrees at night.

greg

Reply to
GregS

LOL! I have a different name for the newsreader in each computer i use. The DLT is the dell laptop.

Steve Barker DLT

To cut cost? No.

The ONLY reason is if you use so much electricity that you use more than 200A.

Reply to
JR Weiss

No, because he already has service. It is unlikely the cost of upgrade could be recovered even if he did get some kind of rate change.

Reply to
JR Weiss

Not quite...

First, the 1/2" pipe would only have half the area of the 1" pipe. You'd really need a 3/4" pipe to give half the flow rate at the same pressure.

Second, if you already have a 1" pipe installed, there is no reason to change to a smaller one. Just use the big pipe with the lower flow rate.

Reply to
JR Weiss

Don't think so! area = pi r squared. The half inch pipe has a quarter the capacity of an incher.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

That's what I meant to say! :-)

Reply to
JR Weiss

$47..... Now that hurts....

Reply to
Bill

Well, if we're going to have a pity party...

My last electric bill was about $240, and it's pretty much that much year round.

Outdoor hot tub. Asthmatic husband who wheezes when it's hot and humid, so the thermostat is set to 70 and the air conditioner runs almost every day that the furnace is not on.

Obviously, if I was motivated to reduce consumption I'd insist that he get rid of the hot tub.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Craig M

If your house requires more than 200A but less than or equal to 400A, then a 400A service is much better than 200A service! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Close: "Pie are round, cornbread is square"

Reply to
PeterD

Well, at least you didn't say you'd get rid of him!

We run about $190 in the summer (no A/C) and twice that in the winter (mostly electrical heat).

Reply to
PeterD

Certainly. If 200A isn't enough 400A might be called for. If this=20 is a residential service, reducing consumption would be a better=20 place to start. ...unless you make global warming films.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

I can think of one reason to go to that high a service, if you have a large shop out back, lots of wood working tools, machine tools, ect, would be a good reason to get that much juice

Reply to
Craig M