400A resedential service

Page 2 of 3

400a , what are you going to run, you wont save anything upsizing. You need to do an energy audit and quit wasting electricity. Put your money into saving electricity, Cfls, new apliances, more efficent AC, etc etc etc. i can run large a house with AC for 35-150 a month.

Why would a 400A service cut your bill?

Your post says otherwise. Contact an compentent and respected electrican and get some advise.

Bill posted for all of us...

Huh???? How do you explain this?
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

That is why I asked here. Not the answers I thought I would get.
Is there any reason why 400A is better than 200A, or not?

Not if you are looking to reduce your electric bill. It doesn't matter if you have a 400A, a 200A, or a 100A panel. Your bill is based on the power that you consume. If you want to lower your bill you'll have to look at ways to reduce the power you use.
"Bill" wrote in message

OK, let's try this. Say you are using 1000 gallons of water a day and the water flows into your home just fine through your 1 inch water pipe.
Now you want to reduce your water bill. You find ways to use LESS water. Say you reduce your water usage to 500 gallons a day. You have cut your water usage in half. You could probably get by with a 1/2 inch water pipe now!
Same thing with ELECTRICITY. If you use less electricity, you don't need a larger "pipe". 400 amps is a larger "pipe"!

Is there any chance that there is a lower cost for putting in a larger service? I remember living on farm in the 70s, and the power company gave us a better rate when we put in new electrical service. This included having to do electric heat, electric appliances, and having a automatic yard light.
-john-
John A. Weeks III 612-720-2854 snipped-for-privacy@johnweeks.com

You got a better rate per KWH, but you gave more money to the utility.
That's classical dope pusher behavior - get them started at low cost, then when they're hooked they'll more than make-up for any short term losses.

No, because he already has service. It is unlikely the cost of upgrade could be recovered even if he did get some kind of rate change.
Rates are based on the amount of power consumed, not the size (capacity) of the service. Very large consumers get a lower cost per kwh, but pay a higher customer charge and also pay a demand charge based on the largest 15 minute amperage demand. If he increases hie service size to 400 amps, the power company will also charge him to upgrade their facilities to be able to provide that amount of service. Upgrading the transformer will cost him close to $3K (in addition to what he'll pay his electrical contractor to do the service upgrade on his equipment).
The only way to reduce the bill is to reduce the amount of power consumed.
wrote...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

You sound pretty confident about what *his* utility will do. They aren't all the same, you know.
<snip top poster's mess>
--
Keith

Erik Dillenkofer wrote:

The large electric utility that serves our area would ask for the projected demand increase. If none were forecast they would simply connect whatever was installed to the existing transformer which was already satisfactory for the existing load.

Not quite...
First, the 1/2" pipe would only have half the area of the 1" pipe. You'd really need a 3/4" pipe to give half the flow rate at the same pressure.
Second, if you already have a 1" pipe installed, there is no reason to change to a smaller one. Just use the big pipe with the lower flow rate.

Don't think so! area = pi r squared. The half inch pipe has a quarter the capacity of an incher.
Art

That's what I meant to say! :-)
pie is round, cornbread is square :) sorry could not pass it up

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:50:21 -0500, "Craig M"
Close: "Pie are round, cornbread is square" <bg>

If you don't need it, no - in fact it's a waste of money, time and materials. There are houses that need 400A service, just very, very few of them.
If you want to reduce your electric bill, take the advice you've been given to analyze your electricity consumption and take it from there.

To cut cost? No.
The ONLY reason is if you use so much electricity that you use more than 200A.
Bill wrote:

If your house requires more than 200A but less than or equal to 400A, then a 400A service is much better than 200A service! :-)
Matt