40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home. Family of 2 adults + 2 children

Page 6 of 13
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 03:21:33 -0700, Smitty Two

There are only *TWO* oil refineries in California? Then perhaps you would be so kind as to select which two from the following list:
BP West Coast Products LLC, Carson Chevron U.S.A. Inc., El Segundo Chevron U.S.A. Inc., Richmond Tesoro Refining & Marketing Company, Golden Eagle Shell Oil Products US, Martinez ExxonMobil Refining & Supply Company, Torrance Valero Benicia ConocoPhillips, Wilmington Shell Oil Products US, Wilmington Valero (Ultramar) Wilmington ConocoPhillips, Rodeo San Francisco Big West of California LLC, Bakersfield Paramount Petroleum Corporation, Paramount ConocoPhillips, Santa Maria Edgington Oil Company, Long Beach Kern Oil & Refining Company, Bakersfield San Joaquin Refining Company Inc., Bakersfield Greka Energy, Santa Maria Lunday Thagard, South Gate Valero Wilmington Asphalt Tenby Inc., Oxnard
And when you've finished that assignment, get yourself acquainted with the REAL facts about supply and demand. Hint #1: world demand has now reached 87 million barrel a day or some 1,000 barrels a SECOND. Hint #2: oil production in 33 out of the 48 major oil producing countries is now in decline due to field exhaustion, and this includes Kuwait, Mexico, Britain's North Sea and, most recently, Russia. Hint #3: oil producing countries are exporting less crude because of rapidly rising domestic demand.
Cheers, Paul

I stand corrected on the refineries. I was having a conversation with the owner of a local gas station the other day, and clearly misunderstood him. As to the real facts of supply and demand, I was only quoting the WSJ, so perhaps you can straighten them out if you believe they're confused.
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:20:45 -0700, Smitty Two

And my apologies for being so snippy. The WSJ and the NYT, like much of the main stream media, doesn't have a good grasp on this industry, although there are occasional signs that they may be slowly catching on. The target forecast of one media darling, Daniel Yergin, a CERA energy analyst, has oil selling at $38.00 a barrel; today, it's trading at over three times that.
Cheers, Paul
Where in the WSJ did you find this little gem? I subscribe to the WSJ, including the on-line, but I cannot find a reference to your quote anywhere in the WSJ or its archives.
It is intellectually dishonest to try to prove an alleged fact just by a vague reference to a newspaper.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

In that case, I retract my statement, with apologies to you and the rest of the group. Thanks for setting me straight. And a reminder to myself not to pass along hearsay information as gospel, regardless of the credibility of the source.
Smitty

OPEC.
Wow! Right out of the late 1970's.
Not a time warp. Just a normal place. You can't call the west coast a normal place. Everything is three to ten times higher than it should be out there. You should be thankful the gas is not $12 a gallon.

Still hanging on to that belief? Based on your link it's gone up sixty or seventy cents per gallon in less than two months. Your powers of prognostication are wanting.

And now how much higher is it going?

It's easier to point out the want of prognostication powers in others than to have the power yourself. ;)
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 10:27:02 -0700 (PDT), ransley

I don't think anyone can give you a good answer. However, one thing to note is that the crack spread as shown below has all but disappeared, so if refinery margins eventually return to normal levels (and if that doesn't happen soon, many refiners will go out of business), gas will be selling between $4.30 and $4.50 a gallon. In California, regular unleaded is already in the range of $4.45 to $4.50 and it's likely just a matter of time before the rest of the country follows suit.
http://www.fuelgaugereport.com /
Crude oil jumped almost eleven dollars a barrel on Friday and that came on the heels of some five and a half dollars the day before. Many in the industry believe $150.00 a barrel is just weeks away, so in the absense of a world-wide recession, expect continued upward pressure.
Cheers, Paul
Paul M. Eldridge wrote:

*will be?* it already is, here. just filled up, regular was $4.03; premium was over $4.30.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Hi Nate,
The national average is currently a hair over $4.00, with some areas thirty or forty cents above or below. Again, as higher crude prices make their way through the system and as refiners work to restore margins, the national average should continue to move closer to $4.30 or $4.50 a gallon. Throw in a hurricane or two or war in the Middle East and, well, all bets are off.
Cheers, Paul
Still quite a ways from $4. $3.65 friday nite. hollar at me when we see the $4.....

$3.58 Friday and Saturday until about noon. Hit $3.77 at the cheap stations by Saturday afternoon. I've been afraid to go out today.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

In my town, gas is $4.33 and heating oil is $4.50
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Depends on state taxes. Gas running (E10) 3.72$ most places. Used to be almost everyone was same price but now we are getting 5-10cent shifts within a mile of each other.
Well now IF you wanna talk ethanol, then i can say i'm still paying $2.84 here (for E85) . And am using the explorer almost exclusively because of it.

What a Joke, an Explorer E85 is rated 14 MPG HIGHWAY, e85 is cheap for a reason, and 14 mpg hwy is just dumb, what does it really get in the winter in city driving, 8? The shoe fits.

I pay 4.36, regular, I hope its not as some say, near 5 by 4th of july, this is the making for a long big recession especialy to hurt the lower class, I already see very bad effects.