40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home. Family of 2 adults + 2 children

Page 5 of 13

Or $4.19 if you happen to fill-up at the Sinclair station at 75th and State Line. But that's hardly the point, given my comments were with respect to the **national** average.
Cheers, Paul
And _MY_ original comment that was being referred to here was about _HERE_.

Your original comment:
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:59:17 -0500 Local: Tues, Apr 15 2008 11:59 am Subject: Re: 40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home. I usually go by the official national average. You could hardly call CA or HI a normal place.
Make up your mind - are you going by the national average or what the absolute lowest price gas is in a 20 mile radius?
Actually, you don't have to - your opinion on where gas is going doesn't mean anything. It's also a spurious argument to rely on the lowest gas price listed on something like gasbuddy.com.
I'll check back with you in a month and see if you've learned to say, "Oops, I was wrong."
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 14:08:59 -0500, "S. Barker"

Where is "here," honey? $3.99 is the best I can do in western New York, and that's at my local buyer's club, BJ's.
KC

Well here in Chgo regular is AT 3.70 up to 385, HO is up to 410 in some areas. Mr Barkerass, you dont know squatt.
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:09:34 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Hi Mark,
I don't work in this industry and I'm by no means well versed in its inner workings, but I think it's pretty much a given that we'll be hitting the $4.00 mark throughout much of the United States in the coming weeks. I'm already paying $1.21 per litre or $4.55 per gallon for regular unleaded here in Nova Scotia and we're told we can expect to pay $1.30 or more by May ($5.00+ a gallon).
Nymex crude is trading at $112.08 a barrel as we speak but, more importantly, the crack spread between crude oil and wholesale gasoline is razor thin. That being the case, refiners have no real incentive to build inventories because there is no financial gain (hard to believe, but refiners -- the smaller, independent players in particular -- are being squeezed by high crude oil prices just like everybody else). Gasoline supplies will tighten going forward due to reduced refinery output (utilization levels have been steadily falling in recent weeks) and this will ultimately help boost margins in due course and, of course, retail prices. Be assured, the consumer won't come out as the winner.
The chart on this page pretty much tells the whole story: http://www.fuelgaugereport.com /
Cheers, Paul
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 23:55:16 -0300, Paul M. Eldridge

Hmm... looks like we just hit a new all-time high -- $112.46 a barrel. If this Wednesday's EIA report shows a further drop in inventory levels, best pull your seat belt a little tighter.
Cheers, Paul
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 00:18:09 -0300, Paul M. Eldridge

Crude oil is now trading in excess of $116.00 a barrel and according to this news item the DOE is forecasting $4.00 gasoline in many parts of the U.S. in the coming weeks -- the national average price for regular unleaded currently stands at $3.445, up another 2.7 cents today.
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_on_bi_ge/oil_prices_163 ;_ylt=AlLehTiTgJAcFAxtWddmcC.AsnsA
With regards to natural gas, the Nymex Henry Hub price is up 6 per cent this week, trading at $10.59 per MM BTU -- this price has *doubled* in the past eight months alone. With further expected declines in conventional and LNG imports, and as we start to move into the hot summer months when utilities run their gas generators flat out to meet increased air conditioning loads, we can expect even greater upward pressure on price.
Cheers, Paul
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:40:58 -0300, Paul M. Eldridge

This Bloomberg news item just came over the wire. It tells us Goldman Sachs has revised its forecast for natural gas prices this coming winter to $13.00 per MM BTU, up from $10.50 -- a 24 per cent increase over their previous estimate. Don't be surprised if this projection gets ratcheted-up further if we have another hot summer and storage levels remain below their five-year historical averages.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid 602099&sid=ayQZwO3prglM&refer=energy
If you haven't already taken steps to reduce your home's energy demands, I wouldn't advise putting it off much longer.
Cheers, Paul

Great information, not sure it belongs in this discussion.
My house produces more electricity than I consume and my higest gas bill last winter was $80.00
Think and do Whole House Performance, if your contractor is not ask him/her why not, then show your support by hiring their competition that does.
Andy
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:07:53 -0700 (PDT), Andy Energy

Hi Andy,
I've taken this conversation way off-course, but the key point to take away is that the era of cheap energy is rapidly coming to a close and that most of us are ill-prepared to make the transition. And it's not just a matter of cost -- we need to prepare ourselves for a supply situation that could be far more chaotic than in the past and that could potentially affect our lives in ways most of us can't even begin to imagine. We're already starting to see evidence of this elsewhere in the world and it would be naive and, indeed, arrogant to believe we're somehow immune from all this given that, for the most part, we're at the tail-end of the supply chain. Keep a close eye on the natural gas market -- the next couple of years are going to be rather interesting.
Cheers, Paul

Yea alot of Morons out there, let them go learn, the expensive way.
Well mr. RANSLEYASS, it's still 3.09 here in kc. I don't see it hitting $4 here THIS summer. Watch us at www.kcgasprices.com so i don't have to keep telling you.

Well here in Chgo regular is AT 3.70 up to 385, HO is up to 410 in some areas. Mr Barkerass, you dont know squatt.

Oh, I see, I didn't understand your position. You're giving advice on a newsgroup that has readers from all over North America, and a number from other continents, but you're giving advice based on what's happening in your backyard. Why didn't you say so? It would have saved us all a lot of time.
As far as the price of a gallon of gas, I'm seeing northwards of $3.50 for the cheap stuff, and going as high as $3.70. Considering the total clusterf that's going on with the economy and the exchange rate, I think you're a very optimistic man. More power to you!

Only a few farmers from the Wizard of Oz live in Kansas, its hardley a place gasolene prices matter compared to LA, Chicago or NY, I mean Kansas WTF. OK im BSn,,, but its all near 4 a gallon , and Barker is still full of shit, as he has always been ....a man of no facts, just bs mam.
$ 3.09? You must be living in a time warp. Look at our prices in San Diego. At 3.87, and climbing every day.
Mostly because of Mr. Greenspan and his insane "monetary accommodation". The dollar has lost 30% of its value and, naturally, we have to pay more dollars for the same amount of oil.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Boy Barker lives in a time warp, the average price of mid to high grade in CA just hit an avg of 4$ a gallon with oil at $114 a barrel, anyway who lives or cares about Kansas`s prices, I mean how many people live in Kansas, well not many, as I read it.
Dumb Ass Doggie S. Barker from dog cans ass, can`t read, he always barks bs when he posts.
Way to go SB

But just 16 months ago, many of us were paying just over $2.00 a gallon in many areas.
Greenspan's "monetary accomodation" began in the late 90's and continues today. So why the CURRENT price surge, and why did it take so long to hit home?

The price of gas, like all things, is being manipulated by the puppet masters of the world. According to the Wall Street Journal, if based on supply and demand, it would be about $1.50. In California there are two refineries, and they take turns shutting down for one phony reason or another, to artificially exacerbate the "shortage."