Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Removing Epoxy Pebble Flooring
I have a concrete patio that was overlaid with epoxy pebble or aggregate several years ago. The epoxy is slowly disintegrating so I want to remove it. What is the best method of doing this?
4
4

Bona Polyurethane Wood Floor Finish
Has anyone reading this used this Bona? Is it worth the high price? I'd welcome any good experiences or cautionary tales regarding the hardwood floor finishes that are sold by Lowes and Home Depot.
7
7

Building Steps on dirt slope/ questions
I plan to build some steps into a sloped hill, using timbers. I had some built about ten years ago, and used PT lumber rated for ground contact, which was .8 penetration level. I know that the...
8
8

Energy Saving Tips
1. Reduce heater's room temperature For each extra degree (Celsius) of temperature, your heater will consume 7 to 11% more energy. Adjust it to 18degrees which is also better for your health. 2....

Slab post-tensioning costs?
Does anyone know what's the going cost for building a post-tensioned slab? Thanks in advance, Rui Maciel
2
2

Emergency Generator
Sorry for the cross post. Have a question about it's operation. I am a Jack of all trades, but a master of none. Good friend of mine had a standby generator installed. Before it was installed, his...
12
12

Verizon Charging for Local (Landline)Calls
Hello, Verizon wants to charge me (by the minute) for local, landline calls. Does anyone else have that problem?
7
7

Gas Stove Clearance
We are considering replacing our slide-in range with a dual-fuel gas burner and electric convection oven. Problem is that so far we have been quoted 3 different clearance requirements to the exhaust...
1
1

Lawn tractor bridge design
I need to span a small creek in my back yard and am building a 16' bridge with 2" x 12" x 16' pressure treated lumber; making it 4' wide with four 2" x 12"s set on a little less than 2' centers. Can...
4
4

EPA Lead Hazard Construction Consideration
I just recently received my Lead Renovator certificate. The EPA has initiated its ruling as of April 22nd, 2010 as to proceedure and laws concerning renovation/construction/demolition/painting etc. on...
3
3

Edging for shingle roofs? Hurricanes
------------------------------------- Someone told me that on the weather channel they saw that there was some type of material?? to put on the edging of shingle roofs to help with wind damage?? I...
8
8

orbital sanders
Do 8" electrical orbital sanders exist? I've been unable to find any on-line?
2
2

tennis court construction and funky shape of tennis net post footing
Hey, when I think of cones, I think of Ice Cream Cones. Wide end on top. What can I say?
20
20

Installing Simpson HDU5 hold downs
Here in the Pacific Northwest we have lots of new earth quake code for residential construction. My house plans calls for a bunch of shear walls and HDU5 hold downs. I have never used these but just...
6
6

Lead Regulation EPA
Being a General Contractor in Calif. I realize I need to be certified for lead in renovations to any homes built prior to 1978. I am going through the steps to procure this lead requirement. First of...
2
2